An Old School Catholic Message Board

Naming Your Guardian Angel?

Paladin D

cantstopdancin9

I believe that exist in whatever supernatural plane God exists in, but don't think you have your own personal angel.

^Well it was that part that I didn't understand.

Actually I'm not sure, let me try and look it up really quick. If I'm lucky, a wrinkly alien will step in and take over ha ha. :D

Edited by cantstopdancin9

Guest jrob8503

Oh, you know. What doesn't reside here. Don't know the proper name for it, but where God and heaven and the rest are. Where our souls end up where we die.

cantstopdancin9

That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the "mind of the Church", as St. Jerome expressed it: "how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it." (Comm. in Matt., xviii, lib. II).

-from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

I think that should answer your question. :)

cmotherofpirl

Is it Church doctrine that we do inDouche have guardian angels?  Could I say, I don't believe in that and still be a member of the Church.  Unlike denying the divinity of Jesus, which is impossible to do and still be considered a member.

A guardian angel is a free gift from God, why turn down free help?

u don't believe that we have guardian angels.

do u believe that if u ask God for one, he'd turn u down? cuz i bet He wouldn't.

y not have one then?! if u COULD then y not?! :D when so many saints have had guardian angels?

my Guardian Angel is yet unnamed cause i wanna think of something clever and kewl

Theologian in Training

I believe the other debate was not that you couldn't name your angel, but that you shouldn't ASK for your angel's name because a demon could take that opportunity to intercept and deceive you.

I don't think its wrong to name your angel, I did when I was a little girl, but I'd be weary of asking the angel for his name.

I realize this debate is good and dead, and a bloody horse is no horse at all, but what if you were to ask God to reveal to you, in His own time of course, the name of your guardian angel? A while back I named my angel, but then got the sense, through prayer and communication with him, that he preferred another name altogether. Both names are biblical, in fact, both names are the names of the Evangelists that wrote the Gospels. So what would be wrong with asking God for the name of your guardian angel?

Just curious

God Bless

IcePrincessKRS

I realize this debate is good and dead, and a bloody horse is no horse at all, but what if you were to ask God to reveal to you, in His own time of course, the name of your guardian angel? A while back I named my angel, but then got the sense, through prayer and communication with him, that he preferred another name altogether. Both names are biblical, in fact, both names are the names of the Evangelists that wrote the Gospels. So what would be wrong with asking God for the name of your guardian angel?

Just curious

God Bless

I honestly didn't really know what to think about that debate. I named my angel when I was a little girl after my favorite saint, and have never had any feeling that I should name her anything different. I was just stating what the other debate was about. And though I personally would be weary of asking my angel for her name for the reasons stated in the old debate, I don't see what would be wrong with asking God to reveal the angels name in His time as He sees fit.

Padre Pio, the stigmatist...

Seen and spoke with Jesus, Mary, and his Guardian Angel.

His angel often would stop satan from beating him.

Guardian Angels are very real... You don't have to believe that they are, if you believe it or not, he is still watching over you. And reporting to God everything.

God Bless, Your servant in Christ,

ironmonk

Really silly questions: What kinds of names are available for angels?? I mean, when I was little I used to call mine "Monica" (and NO, that was NOT a rip off of the Touched By An Angel angel!) but I don't really like that name...

Is there anything that's sortof... good for either guys OR gals? You know??

I may name my angel ethier "Bob" or "Demetrius".  I'm more leaning towards "Demetrius".

My angel's name is Phat Daddy Dan :P

thats an interesting comment but I dont know what to think on that one.. however what you mention is the reason I dont like to mention the evil one's name... because I dont want its attention

Why are you afraid of the Devil? Jesus Christ is on your side, and if He is for you, who can be against you?

Being afraid of the devil is a sign of weak faith, in my opinion.

... I dont like to mention the evil one's name...

Dude PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, I dont wanna start an argument or anything!

I just happened upon that line and thought of Harry Potter. You know, where everybody's afraid to say "Lord Voldemort" because he's so evil and stuff? Yeah but see, in the books that fear actually gives him more POWER, see?

Ok. So like, plese don't think I'm ragging on you - it's 1:30 AM and I have NO SCHOOL TOMORROW so I have planted my happy little delirious behind in front of the computer, and Harry Potter happened to pop into my head! :D