An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lost Books Of The Bible

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

Have any of you heard of this book and read it? A good friend of mine just bought me this book and its pretty interesting but yet odd.

The Book has writings that St. Jerome had when trying to figure out what Books should go into the Bible. From reading this book above I can see why alot of them never made it, but others were pretty cool.

There are books in there that talk about Mary's birth and childhood as well as Christs Birth and childhood, although the way they said Mary was bethroved (sp?) to Joseph seemed waay off compaired to what I was use to reading.

Anyway just wanted to get everyone take on it. It does kinda confirm the teachings of the time in regards to Marys Perpetual Virginity, it even states that in one of the Gospels of Mary, written well before 200AD.

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

Oh yea, my bad

Click here for the book at Amazon

if this doesnt work, just go to Amazon.com and do a search on Lost Books of the Bible and click the second option that comes up, when the page finally comes up click on the link that says "Look inside this book" below the image of the book.

If still doesnt work let me know, i'll do something crazy.

CatholicAndFanatical

cmotherofpirl

These books were not lost, they simply don't qualify as inspired.

1-4. The Canonical Gospels. THE ONES WE USE

5. The Gospel according to the Hebrews.

6. The Gospel of Peter.

7. The Gospel according to the Egyptians

8. The Gospel of Matthias.

9. The Gospel of Philip.

10. The Gospel of Thomas.

11. The Proto-Evangelium of James.

12. The Gospel of Nicodemus (Acta Pilati).

13.The Gospel of the Twelve Apostles.

14.The Gospel of Basilides.

15.The Gospel of Valentinus.

16.The Gospel of Marcion.

17.The Gospel of Eve.

18.The Gospel of Judas.

19.The writing Genna Marias.

20.The Gospel Teleioseos

EcceNovaFacioOmni

The early Church decided what Christian writings would make up the Canon. Guided by the Holy Spirit, they determined which books were inspired. Like everything else the Church teaches, the Catholic Canon is 100% correct. The books that were disqualified are called the Apocrypha. They are not lost books of the Bible, they are Bible rejects because they were not inspired by the Holy Spirit. Beware of Protestant Bibles, many of them do not contain the entire inspired Word of God. Protestants reject the deuterocanonical books (Tobit, Judith, Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus), Wisdom, 1st & 2nd Maccabees, and parts of Esther and Daniel). If you want proof, look at all the cross references to the deuterocanonical books the writers of the New Testament used:

http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deutero3.htm

CatholicAndFanatical

Beware of Protestant Bibles, many of them do not contain the entire inspired Word of God. Protestants reject the deuterocanonical books (Tobit, Judith, Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus), Wisdom, 1st & 2nd Maccabees, and parts of Esther and Daniel). If you want proof, look at all the cross references to the deuterocanonical books the writers of the New Testament used:

http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deutero3.htm

Excellent point, someone that is not firm in their Catholic Faith yet should not read or take into account the book I mentioned above, I only mentioned it for READING purposes' not to believe they were inspired and on the same level as Sacred Scriptures.

However, I do find it interesting that we get to read the exact same stuff St. Jerome read when trying to decide what is included and what isnt. Another interesting piece on this..if you click on the Amazon link I provided and go to the 'Look Inside this book' section and view a few pages from 'Gospel according to Mary' section, you will see that it says that After the birth of Christ, Joseph never 'knew' Mary and kept her a Virgin..not in those exact words, but that was obviously the teaching back then as well, no its not inspired to be in the Bible, but it is definitly worthy of a good History lesson because I believe it was pre 200AD times.

Just a few tid bits, but dont get me wrong, I only said 'Lost books' because thats the title, im fully aware that these were not lost, just rejected, but still makes for good reading..

God Bless,

CatholicAndFanatical

Like Cmom said... there are no lost books. People that say they are "lost" know nothing about history.... 1900 years ago might as well been 20,000 years ago...

You can read what did not make the bible here: http://www.NewAdvent.org/Fathers/

Sorry if I sound a little harsh about those people that say "lost books of the bible" but they propagate lies to pull away true believers. It just irks me when people try to decieve others.

GB & PC

ironmonk

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I'm sorry if I came off like I was mad or something, I know exactly why you brought these books up. I also find them interesting but have never actually read them. Some of them do sound interesting. The one I am most familiar with is the Acts of Paul. I think it was written really late. It's obviously not inspired but the stories in there are kind of enjoyable. You've probably heard some of them like how Paul converts a lion or something...