Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

A proposed answer to why many Catholics


Recommended Posts

Posted

I was thinking on this, and not everyone in the Northeast votes Democrat (look at Pennsylvania and New Jersey). But it still boggled my mind [b]why[/b] the Northeast tends to vote Democrat, most likely it's due to the fact it has a large Catholic population (in such a small geographical location). But why do such Catholics vote Democrat?

I thought of one reason (besides cafeteria Catholics or non-practicing Catholics), but I'm not exactly sure if this is the primary one. The Democrat party of today is not the party it was 50-60 years ago. From what I understand, the Democrat party used to be more conservative when it came to moral issues. The party was Catholic friendly, and not such an extreme liberal party as it is today. Most Catholics were Democrats, it was a good choice to be back then!

Unfortunately since the Democrat party has changed into an extreme liberal party, it isn't safe to be a devout Catholic while supporting a party that requires it's politicans to support abortion (and other things). The Republican party gives more leeway for their politicans, that is why you can lean a little liberal and be Republican - such as Schwarzenegger, McCain, and Guiliani. It's very difficult to lean conservative in the Democrat party however.

You have Catholics living in the Northeast who grew up voting Democrat, holding a personal allegiance to a party they grew up with. Many of the older Catholics have a difficult time switching parties due to this fact. The Democrat party went from a party that was Catholic-friendly and conservative on moral issues, to being a haven for cafeteria Catholics and liberal on moral issues. If the Democrats were to allow conservative politicans into their party, and were to return to be conservative on these moral issues (such as abortion, fetal stem cell research, etc), I would have [b]a ton more[/b] respect for the Democrat party.

The Republican party ain't perfect, but considering they tend to lean conservative on moral issues... I have no other choice. Because of this, Catholics are split almost 50/50 between the two parties.




Another major reason: Poor catechis and confusion during Vatican II in the 1960's and 70's.

Posted

because the heat doesn't fry our brains

Posted

Some convincing proof to my theory: [url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5651976/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5651976/[/url]

Last I remember, Catholics make up over 50% of the population of Rhode Island (more than other state). Yet, look at their votes...

[i][b][color=blue]John F. Kerry (DEM) 247,071 60% [/color]
[color=red]George W. Bush (REP)* 161,345 39% [/color]
[color=green]Ralph Nader (IND) 3,976 1%[/color][/b][/i]

... says a lot doesn't it?

Posted

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Nov 3 2004, 02:47 PM'] because the heat doesn't fry our brains [/quote]
umm a little uncalled for Shelly

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:47 PM'] because the heat doesn't fry our brains [/quote]
<_<

Posted

That's exactly why, Dallas. I know from experience. <_<

Posted

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:47 PM'] because the heat doesn't fry our brains [/quote]
... or the cold freezes your brains.

I'm from the Northeast, and I leaned Republican.


All I'm saying is: If the Democrat party were to lean more conservative on moral issues, they would get a lot more respect from me... and maybe my vote (depending on the canidates).

Posted

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:47 PM'] because the heat doesn't fry our brains [/quote]
I'm from the Northeast <_<

Posted

Okay kids let's not get into a name calling fight or anything like that

Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:54 PM'] Okay kids let's not get into a name calling fight or anything like that [/quote]
Yes mom. <_<

:lol:

Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Nov 3 2004, 02:51 PM'] umm a little uncalled for Shelly [/quote]
sorry just venting, lol

Posted

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Nov 3 2004, 02:55 PM'] Yes mom. <_<

:lol: [/quote]
good boy ^_^ *pats Dallas on top of the head and gives him a cookie*

Posted

[quote name='shelly_freak' date='Nov 3 2004, 02:56 PM'] sorry just venting, lol [/quote]
^_^ It's okay :) forgiven and forgotten

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:56 PM'] good boy ^_^ *pats Dallas on top of the head and gives him a cookie* [/quote]
Hmmm...

*sees what Dallas gets*

Mom?

hmmm...

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 3 2004, 02:58 PM'] Hmmm...

*sees what Dallas gets*

Mom?

hmmm... [/quote]
*hands Micah a smelly fish*




:P

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Nov 3 2004, 03:59 PM'] *hands Micah a smelly fish*




:P [/quote]
:huh:













































:wub:

Posted

Oh good... I hate seafood. *Gratefully shoves the entire cookie in his mouth*

Ash Wednesday
Posted

I think this election has proven to be a huge shock to Democrats -- the talking heads (press) are going on about MORALS and how that influenced this election. You bet it did.

This is a message to the Democratic party from the American people: we want what you want. But we want morals, too.

Posted

HELLO!!!! We're American people too!

Posted

Simply, most Catholics don't put their faith as the top priority. The solution is the Eucharist. I think JPII's declaration of this year being the Year of the Eucharist couldn't have come at a better time.

The Democratic party better realize real fast that morality is making a comeback in this country. They won't be winning any elections any time soon unless they drop their extreme liberal agenda.

I was listening to Ron Reagan Jr last night and couldn't believe it when he seemed disgusted by the fact that people were actually placing more importance on religion rather than science... DUH!?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...