CatholicAndFanatical Posted October 7, 2003 Posted October 7, 2003 if I understand speaking in tongues the way it was described at Pentecost, its was the apostles were able to speak in different tongues (languages) without having been taught that language. Like if I was able to just start rattling off Italian (which i wish i could do) that would be considered speaking in tongues according to the way scriptures plays it out at Pentecost. But ive had an account when I was like 13 or so and pentecostal at the time, someone in the front started to speak in tongues, have no clue on what she said because the pastor didnt put the mic close or say what she was saying..now if that was the Holy Spirit talking through her, the pastor obviously didnt think it was important or we all would of heard it, huh. CatholicAndFanatical
GodsGrace Posted October 8, 2003 Author Posted October 8, 2003 well,.....as for the pastor not thinking it was important. It's not something the should be broadcast, or like......I don't know but if people see it, cherrish it. Don't like show it off like it's a prize.
GodsGrace Posted October 8, 2003 Author Posted October 8, 2003 well,.....as for the pastor not thinking it was important. It's not something the should be broadcast, or like......I don't know but if people see it, cherrish it. Don't like show it off like it's a prize.
GodsGrace Posted October 8, 2003 Author Posted October 8, 2003 well,.....as for the pastor not thinking it was important. It's not something the should be broadcast, or like......I don't know but if people see it, cherrish it. Don't like show it off like it's a prize.
Paladin D Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 well,.....as for the pastor not thinking it was important. It's not something the should be broadcast, or like......I don't know but if people see it, cherrish it. Don't like show it off like it's a prize. TRIPLE POST! JACKPOT! *Bling bling bling!*
IcePrincessKRS Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 I have always understood speaking in tongues to be something real, but something that only a few people are gifted with. I was speaking with my friend about this a couple weeks ago, and she said that she had sopken to her priest about it and he told her that when someone speaks in tongues at least someone is supposed to be able to understand it, that it gives a message to someone, even if everyone else doesn't understand it. That being said, I don't think that people can speak in tonues at will, and I also don't believe that it is all that wide spread. (And thats not to say that those here who HAVE experienced it are faking, but I just think that sometimes maybe some people are.)
Aloysius Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 is it selfish to ask God for the gift of tongues to get me through a French test? B) yeah, it prolly is. i wont even try it.
GodsGrace Posted October 8, 2003 Author Posted October 8, 2003 yes!! lol no just kidding...lol that's hilarious. my boss thinks it is too (hehe gotta love being online at work!)
Jake Huether Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 if I understand speaking in tongues the way it was described at Pentecost, its was the apostles were able to speak in different tongues (languages) without having been taught that language. Like if I was able to just start rattling off Italian (which i wish i could do) that would be considered speaking in tongues according to the way scriptures plays it out at Pentecost. But ive had an account when I was like 13 or so and pentecostal at the time, someone in the front started to speak in tongues, have no clue on what she said because the pastor didnt put the mic close or say what she was saying..now if that was the Holy Spirit talking through her, the pastor obviously didnt think it was important or we all would of heard it, huh. CatholicAndFanatical That's just the penticost "speaking in tongues". But Paul also talks about a different gift of tongues. It isn't about trying to convert someone who speaks a different language. It's about speaking to God. Our language doesn't suffice to give God praise. When you wish SOOOO bad to be able to give him the Glory He's due, then at times God will GIFT you with this ability. It's called ANGELIC tongues. I've never experienced it (I try sometimes, but I don't think my heart is completely open to it - I need prayer against pride, agains selfconsciousness). However, it is interesting to note that the only people who don't think tongues exists are the ones that haven't been given the gift. Maybe if they were open to it being real, they would be able to get the gift. "we believe in the sun, even when it isn't shining!"
Qamidalash Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 Ooo! Naughty GG, on the comp at work! From what a friend of mine told me, her first experience with praying in tounges was praying something in her head--and it came out of her mouth in a language she didn't understand. J/c; what does it sound like to you guys? When I've heard it, it's kind of a wispy sound...just curious. B)
Jake Huether Posted October 8, 2003 Posted October 8, 2003 I have always understood speaking in tongues to be something real, but something that only a few people are gifted with. I was speaking with my friend about this a couple weeks ago, and she said that she had sopken to her priest about it and he told her that when someone speaks in tongues at least someone is supposed to be able to understand it, that it gives a message to someone, even if everyone else doesn't understand it. That being said, I don't think that people can speak in tonues at will, and I also don't believe that it is all that wide spread. (And thats not to say that those here who HAVE experienced it are faking, but I just think that sometimes maybe some people are.) I don't understand why people don't get it. These priests and anti "charismatics", are focusing on ONE part of scripture that describes ONE type of tongues. Even the Pope recognizes the gift of angelic tongues (aka, your prayer language). It is RARE that people speak in prophetic tongues in order to convert others, because God can NOW use people who speak their own language to convert them. The Apostles, and many many Saints in the past NEEDED to be given this gift in order to spread the Gospel. But that really isn't the case now. However, the gift of a prayer language, the gift of praising God according to His splendor, has not died out. It is still needed!
GodsGrace Posted October 8, 2003 Author Posted October 8, 2003 well Sarah....lol coming from Katie she's right. in my experience, it was words in my heart and in my head and I knew what I was saying, and I knew I was speaking in a different tongue, but it was just sooo cool!
Aloysius Posted October 9, 2003 Posted October 9, 2003 too bad we all didn't get the interpretation gift of tongues then we could keep the Latin mass and id have the beautiful latin stuff + we'd all understand it!
GodsThespianChic Posted October 11, 2003 Posted October 11, 2003 I totally believe in it...I mean jeez, I almost had to drive GG home from Inspiration because of it! LOL! But yeah, I really really want it because I know it is so amesome...I mean that's obvious from the expressions on GG and Katie's faces...Katie's dad told me that I have a beautiful heart and that I'm ready for it and that I should have people pray over me that have the gift if I really want it that bad...I dunno.
mulls Posted October 11, 2003 Posted October 11, 2003 if it is done aloud, then it can and should only be done when there is someone to understand or interpret it. if it is done in the silence of the heart ("prayer language") only u and God truly know or need to know about it bingo.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now