Paladin D Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 I dislike doing public customized prayer half the time. I don't mind praying prayers such as the Our Father, Hail Mary, and etc (pre-worded prayers? What are they called?). When I make a custom prayer, it isn't very elegant or beautifully worded, plus most of the time they are short and repeat. So I don't like doing a public customized prayer, sometimes I do... but half of the time I don't.
toledo_jesus Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 (edited) a pet peeve of mine...spontaneous prayer. I speak of the type of prayer particularly exhibited by, in my experience, Baptists. You may know...and I pray that I'm not sinning by saying this: "Oh Lord, bless us Lord, and Lord, please give us strength Lord, Lord we know we can't do anything without you Lord, so Lord please be with us Lord. Amen." That just really gets on my nerves. I mean Really. I just annoyed myself right there. :angry: How many times can you say "Lord" in one sentence? Edited November 29, 2004 by toledo_jesus
Dave Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 I've noticed that! And sometimes I wonder if, when certain Protestants accuse Catholics of using "vain repetition" when praying the rosary, we could use the example you cited to turn it around on them.
hopeful1 Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 [quote name='Dave' date='Nov 28 2004, 09:22 PM'] I've noticed that! And sometimes I wonder if, when certain Protestants accuse Catholics of using "vain repetition" when praying the rosary, we could use the example you cited to turn it around on them. [/quote] :-r ^dr. evil smiley
rachael Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 [quote name='Dave' date='Nov 28 2004, 08:22 PM'] I've noticed that! And sometimes I wonder if, when certain Protestants accuse Catholics of using "vain repetition" when praying the rosary, we could use the example you cited to turn it around on them. [/quote] i :heart: the rosary
MagiDragon Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 you should have made a poll for this one . . . it would be interesting to see what phatmassers think about it. as for myself: i try to be patient with the 'spontaneous' prayer . . . but . . . well . . . i don't really like it. it's one thing when i'm in front of the Eucharist and i'm saying things in my head, but it seems vain to me to pray out loud . . . unless i'm praying something that's been prescribed. *grins at the image that brings to mind* Dr. Jesus says, "Take two 'Our Fathers' and call me in the morning." Peace, Joe
Balthazor Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 I talk to God incessantly, but I don't like being put on the spot to come up with a prayer in a group. I don't know prayer is a never ending dialog between me and God. It is hard to stop the dialoge long enough to isolate a thought and a prayer....and then it sounds stupid.....I wish my brain could better translate what my heart says.
MagiDragon Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 [quote name='rachael' date='Nov 28 2004, 11:06 PM'] i :heart: the rosary [/quote] me too
Krush2k2 Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 Yea i never went to See You At The Pole, i kinda viewed it as a good intention but i dunno, didnt reallie "feel" it.
Sirklawd Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 i always thought prayer was suppose to be a very personal thing. its hard for me to share something that personal aloud. maybe im wierd. sometimes, i also feel that maybe people arnt being genuine during public prayer, like they are doing it to showoff, and like.."act" faithful (or MORE faithful). but like. i dont dwell on that, and just try to assume people's intentions are good. is public prayer wrong though?
MagiDragon Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 [quote name='Sirklawd' date='Nov 28 2004, 11:41 PM'] is public prayer wrong though? [/quote] nah, couldn't really be wrong . . . it's prescribed too often in the Bible. i *guess* you could make an argument that spontaneous public prayer is wrong . . . but that just seems silly to me. I may not like it, but i don't think it's sinful. Peace, Joe
toledo_jesus Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 alot of times I feel like people are just recycling other spontaneous prayers they've heard before and paraphrasing them. I hate to say it, but I think that it would be more tolerable to listen to public spontaneous prayer if the person doing it was somewhat more...oratorically inclined, so to speak. It would be different to have somebody who can string a couple sentences together without interspersing Lord's every other word. I mean, do you think He's gonna forget you're talking to Him?
cmotherofpirl Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 "I mean, do you think He's gonna forget you're talking to Him? " I really don't like people who look like they stand around and professionally pray spontaneously all day in public. :thinking: Didn't string that together to well, but you get the idea.
Kilroy the Ninja Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 spontaneous public prayer always gives me the creeps. But I'm weird.
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 I have never liked spontaneous public prayer. Protestants do it all the time, and you really never know when it's going to come up. I don't even like doing it with close friends or my family. Prayer is such a personal thing ... I dunno, it's just not my bag, baby.
azaelia Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 My youth minister used to do that. And he amde us do it before every meeting. That always got on my nerves.
LiL Kat Said Posted November 29, 2004 Posted November 29, 2004 (edited) [quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 29 2004, 12:50 PM'] I have never liked spontaneous public prayer. Protestants do it all the time, and you really never know when it's going to come up. I don't even like doing it with close friends or my family. [/quote] Ditto, Spontaneous Public Prayer isn't my thing. My Youth Minister does it alot and he chooses us to pray. I just get really nervous when praying in front of people, even when praying in front of my big family , I sometimes forget the words to the hail mary when we pray the rosary! That's why i like praying alone or only w/ a couple people Edited November 29, 2004 by LiL Kat Said
LovingIt! Posted November 30, 2004 Posted November 30, 2004 You forgot the other constituent of the spontaneous public prayer: "and I just wanna"
homeschoolmom Posted November 30, 2004 Posted November 30, 2004 I don't mind... see... as long as it's... you know... if it... like... can stay susinct... I don't mind at all. If it appears to have a point and stay on task...
mulls Posted November 30, 2004 Posted November 30, 2004 i feel bad for you guys. talking to the Lord out loud, unashamedly, whenever you want or need to, is a wonderful thing. not doing it isn't a bad thing, but whatever your style is, stop hatin on people who like to pray out loud from their heart.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now