An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Pius XII, the Allies, and WWII

JP2Iloveyou

Actually i was talking to a good friend of mine who is a member of a Jewish youth league about the same topic. He agrees that Pius XII did all in his power and greatly helped the hebrew people. That in Washington at the Holocause memorial/museum the only religion that is giving credit for helping the Jewish people is the Catholic Church. Further to that in Israel when they would plant trees for individuals who helped during the Holocaust, Pius XII was seen as such a great gentile and person who saved soo many Jews and did so much that he was given an entire forest (most only get one tree i.e. Shindler). Next to that the Head rabbi of Rome after the holocaust converted to Catholicsm and took on the name of Pius in honour of Pope Pius XII who did so much for his people. So in my opinnon the Holy Father did all that he could and further to that should be defintaly considered for the sainthood.

good article cmotherofpirl! I am actually suprised that there is not a bigger push within the Church for his beatification (perhaps there is but i am not aware of it).

I do indeed hope you all are correct. Like I said, this film was very biased and it isn't fair to make a judgment without hearing all sides. We'll hear the other side soon in this class, I'm sure.

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:22 PM'] There was a group of people, however, who could respond. Realize that Pius XII was elected in March of 1939 if I'm not mistaken. By that time, the Nazis were well on their way to gaining control of Germany and then of Europe. Pearl Harbor happened on December 7, 1941. That's a full three years after the war really got going. As an American, I have to ask myself, "How dare we?" How dare we sit over here on our rear ends and basicly watch an entire race of people get slaughtered. The entire course of the war changed after the U.S. entered the fight. The bottom line is that we acted to late. The United States allowed millions and millions of people to be killed. We should be ashamed of ourselves. [/quote]
Well, the US was a little late, but at least you did join on the right side.

And all this nonsense about "it's our fault we were too late, we did nothing etc...". The blame for World War II and the tens of millions that died rests firmly and solely with the Nazis.

Pope St Clement 1

Have you checked out the links under the heading "the Church And The Jews" on this Phatmass page :

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=12032"]History Of The Church[/url]

God bless
Robert

[quote name='RandomProddy' date='Dec 1 2004, 06:36 AM'] Well, the US was a little late, but at least you did join on the right side.

And all this nonsense about "it's our fault we were too late, we did nothing etc...". The blame for World War II and the tens of millions that died rests firmly and solely with the Nazis. [/quote]
that's true. The blame falls squarely on the Nazis, and the Fascists. I think the bigger point is that Hitler started out small once, too, just like Saddam Hussein and wound up big because no one stood up to him. Fortunately, we didn't give Saddam a chance to be big(ger). :mellow:

CatholicCrusader

Just a fact here: of the 12 millipn murdered in the Nazi concentration camps, only 6 million were Jewish... that's only half. He was not just out for the Jews. He was out for them, but not only them. The murder far extends Jews, but that was the politically correct choice to say it was based around, and unfortunately the history books don't reflect a balanced view: they hardly if at all mention the murder of anyone except Jews. Of course, they completely ignore the murder of clerics and religous.

Edited by CatholicCrusader

[quote]Of course, they completely ignore the murder of clerics and religous. [/quote]

Which happenned en masse. Ask John Paul II. They saught out seminarians to take them to the camps and he narrowly escaped. Nearly the entire faculty of his University (Catholic University of Lublin) was rounded up and carted away by the Nazis.