BurkeFan Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 5 2004, 01:07 AM'] No, you just listen. Sometimes people don't want you to fix everything... sometimes they just want someone to listen. [/quote] this just made me think of something a high school teacher of mine said... guys are fixers and women are listeners. Guys often propose barrages of solutions when women just want someone to listen.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='BurkeFan' date='Dec 6 2004, 11:52 AM'] this just made me think of something a high school teacher of mine said... guys are fixers and women are listeners. Guys often propose barrages of solutions when women just want someone to listen. [/quote] Yeah, that's true. When someone comes to me, I try to listen and mostly to console them, rather than give them advice. You know...tell them that everything is okay...that they're doing the right thing...it's important. It's also important to establish trust, because I think that comfort on both sides is very important to listening.
franciscanheart Posted December 6, 2004 Author Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='BurkeFan' date='Dec 6 2004, 10:52 AM'] this just made me think of something a high school teacher of mine said... guys are fixers and women are listeners. Guys often propose barrages of solutions when women just want someone to listen. [/quote] [img]http://www.esquared.info/img/lightbulb.jpg[/img]
Luthien Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 ...If people dont want advice on a problem, why do they post their woes in open mic? Post it in the prayer thread and you won't be given unwanted advice.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:13 PM'] [img]http://www.esquared.info/img/lightbulb.jpg[/img] [/quote]
theculturewarrior Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 perhaps this is a gender difference, but I personally am consoled by advice. Why should we stop being men? It's like that rule...you have to leave the toilet sit down. Gee ripes, women mess everything up! If I can put it up, you can put it down. :angry: Please don't hurt me. :leave:
Balthazor Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 You know I have to say that I agree with you TCW> Except at night, when you should put the toilet seat down, because when youwake up in the middle of the night and gotta go, and you aren't quite concious enough to remember to put the toilet seat down and you fall in. Other than that yeah, leave the stinkin seat up!
Sojourner Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 I don't mind getting advice when it's really applicable and when it's from someone I trust. Sometimes it can be really useful. I think sometimes women who say "I don't want advice, I just want someone to listen" aren't really open to hearing wisdom from other people about their situations. (Not that every piece of advice given on open mic is dripping with wisdom). Personally, I find it annoying when people post their problem, then get offended when people make suggestions about those problems. Like Luthien said, if you don't want advice, and only want sympathy, post in the prayer room.
theculturewarrior Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:46 PM'] You know I have to say that I agree with you TCW> Except at night, when you should put the toilet seat down, because when youwake up in the middle of the night and gotta go, and you aren't quite concious enough to remember to put the toilet seat down and you fall in. Other than that yeah, leave the stinkin seat up! [/quote] Well...it still falls upon one of us to remember at night...and personally... Let's just have separate bathrooms for everyone!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:46 PM'] You know I have to say that I agree with you TCW> Except at night, when you should put the toilet seat down, because when youwake up in the middle of the night and gotta go, and you aren't quite concious enough to remember to put the toilet seat down and you fall in. Other than that yeah, leave the stinkin seat up! [/quote] I never leave the toilet seat up...I think I have to be the only guy I know who always sits when he goes to the bathroom...I've used a urinal maybe...hmmm...ten times in my life...only God knows why...not even I do...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:47 PM'] Not that every piece of advice given on open mic is dripping with wisdom. [/quote] Hey! :angry:
theculturewarrior Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:50 PM'] I never leave the toilet seat up...I think I have to be the only guy I know who always sits when he goes to the bathroom...I've used a urinal maybe...hmmm...ten times in my life...only God knows why...not even I do... [/quote] *shakes head and mumbles to self* "What are we going to do with this guy."
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:52 PM'] TMI [/quote] You know...rearrange the letters and that spells a common boys' name: MTI.
Sojourner Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:51 PM'] Hey! :angry: [/quote] Except you, of course.
theculturewarrior Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:52 PM'] *shakes head and mumbles to self* "What are we going to do with this guy." [/quote] Eureka! He needs a cowgirl!
Sojourner Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 How will a cowgirl help with his particular problem?
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:54 PM'] Eureka! He needs a cowgirl! [/quote] Yes. Yes, he does.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 6 2004, 06:54 PM'] How will a cowgirl help with his particular problem? [/quote] Because Jen is a cowgirl and a good wife will make me a good man...get with the program.
Sojourner Posted December 6, 2004 Posted December 6, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:55 PM'] Because Jen is a cowgirl and a good wife will make me a good man...get with the program. [/quote] Touchy, touchy. So how does Jen feel about this?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now