An Old School Catholic Message Board

People living over 120

nikkan_hanil

In Genesis, God says that no man shall live past 120, but there has been records of people being +125. Kind of a simple question, sorry...but could someone answer it pweese?

we don't need to take every word in the bible to be literally factual. Many of the numbers in the bible are symbolic:

40 = a lot or too many to count
7 = completeness
6 = incompleteness (evil)
3 = perfection
12 and 144 also have symbolic meanings, but i can't think of a good definition of them at the moment, i'll try though: 144 = 12X12 and it kindof symbolizes 'everything' 12 is more like symbolic of God's people . . .

there could be some sort of symbolic meaning to the number 120, i don't really know. it could have something to do with 10X12 . . . *shrugs* i'm just guessing here, so you'll have to wait for someone with a little more knowledge than me.

Peace,
Joe :)

[quote name='nikkan_hanil' date='Dec 4 2004, 11:47 PM'] In Genesis, God says that no man shall live past 120, but there has been records of people being +125. Kind of a simple question, sorry...but could someone answer it pweese? [/quote]
where does he say this in Genesis?

Genesis 6:3
Interesting. I believe it probably relates more to the amount of time left before God sent the Flood...but I could be wrong.
6:4 is much more interesting...the Nephilim.