An Old School Catholic Message Board

How many people...

Micheal5403

Have you have been to (or converted from) a church(s) of another denomination?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With God's help, I have been (trying to) convert from Catholic to better Catholic every day. It's like taking the stairs in a skyscraper. It's a long process, but hopefully someday I'll reach the top floor - and be a REAL Catholic (a.k.a. Saint!).

[quote name='Fool4Christ' date='Dec 10 2004, 11:05 PM'] With God's help, I have been (trying to) convert from Catholic to better Catholic every day. It's like taking the stairs in a skyscraper. It's a long process, but hopefully someday I'll reach the top floor - and be a REAL Catholic (a.k.a. Saint!). [/quote]
Hope and humility.

I was baptized Catholic but raised without a faith. I became Baptist, read the Bible, found Catholicism therein (baptismal regeneration, the Real Presence, St. Peter's authority, faith without works is dead, etc), and "con/reverted" to Catholicism.

I was raised Catholic, then became a Unitarain Universalist in my teens til age 30, returned to Catholicism (was sick and returned to what I knew for a very short time) got saved and now go to an independent Baptist church.

Just wondering, if I had changed "no-but would if you had the chance" to "no-but would be open to it", would anyone that voted "no-never would" change their vote?

Ash Wednesday

Cradle. Boring on the exterior, I know. Not that I didn't inquire, doubt or learn other beliefs. But Catholicism is what adds up in the end.

Laters. :wavey:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Dec 15 2004, 12:16 AM'] Cradle. [/quote]
Ive seen the term "cradle" catholic used before but dont really know what it means.

If its what I think it means then I WAS one. (baptazed catholic from catholic parents - though not really practicing, you are one by default!)

Ive only started really sudying the Catholic faith as of just over a year ago, and currently learning Apologetics and Theology.

I think to be a cradle Catholic one has to be raised Catholic (Sunday school, confirmation and first communion, etc).

I was baptized as a child but raised without a faith.

[b]Please[/b], somebody who voted "no-never would" [b]explain[/b] your reasons/motives for choosing to never even attend another church. The way I see it, if you're ever going to try to convert other christians or explain your beliefs to them you need to know where they stand with their beliefs first.

[quote name='Benedict' date='Dec 11 2004, 10:57 AM']

I was baptized Catholic but raised without a faith. I became Baptist, read the Bible, found Catholicism therein (baptismal regeneration, the Real Presence, St. Peter's authority, faith without works is dead, etc), and "con/reverted" to Catholicism. [/quote]
Same here.

I was a member of a Presbyterian Church but not baptised in its beliefs (I refused when I was offered.)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Micheal5403' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:02 AM'] [b]Please[/b], somebody who voted "no-never would" [b]explain[/b] your reasons/motives for choosing to never even attend another church. The way I see it, if you're ever going to try to convert other christians or explain your beliefs to them you need to know where they stand with their beliefs first. [/quote]
Because all other choices besides Catholic or jewish are derivative, not original.
The river cannot rise higher than its source.

I was a Protestant, but converted to Catholicism in 1988. I haven't been to a Protestant worship service since my conversion.

God bless,
Todd

[quote name='burnsspivey' date='Dec 10 2004, 06:07 PM'] You apparently don't know anything about Wicca.

However, that's nearing my point -- they are far older than christianity. [/quote]
And seeing as how Wicca started in America in the 1960's, I presume you don't know a lot about it either.

:o

Don John of Austria

[quote]You apparently don't know anything about Wicca.

However, that's nearing my point -- they are far older than christianity[/quote]

Gerald gardner started wicca in the 1950's, his book witchcraft today was published, around 1954. ou really should learn a bit more before you start correcting people you look foolish.

I Choose to Be Holy

I said no I never would, I didn't mean I'd never attend any other service because I have before, but I wouldn't attend with an aquiring heart. I found the fullness of Truth in the Catholic Church (dispite cradle catholic status, i found it for myself later on) Jesus IS present in the Eucharist, so I wouldn't leave that for ANYTHING. However, thays not to say that I don't think the other denominations and religions don't have Jesus present to them in other ways (even if they don't realize its Jesus who is present) and that the others don't have excellent aspects. I appreciate the good stuff about them, but the Ultimate Truth is present in the Eucharist.

As for the timeline of Religions. Judaism certainly wasn't the first one. That didn't begin until 1900-1700bce, and the world was around for many many many many many years before that. Things weren't recorded back then so we can't know alot about them, but like Indigenous Religions were around way before that (and they are a lot more complex than talking to a tree) The origins of Hinduism, while they weren't written down until 1500bce, actually began with the Vedas being heard 8000-6000bce. Jainism began with 23 Tirthankaras sometime prior to 1000bce. Shinto, while the name didn't develop until sometime in the 5th or 6th Cent. CE, it began as a nature based religion in the prehistoric times. Taoism and Confucianism began 1751-1123bce.