An Old School Catholic Message Board

"attachment To Sin"?

morostheos

Yesterday I was reading up on the requirements for a plenary indulgence, and it said you have to:

1)Go to confession

2)Recieve the Eucharist

3)Pray for the pope

4)Not have any attachment to sin, mortal or venial

5)Do any number of things on a list that qualify as plenary indulgences

What exactly is meant by not having any "attachment to sin"? I was talking about it with a friend of mine, and we couldn't really differentiate between attachment and temptation, but I knew the two were different. I kind of have an idea in my head of the difference, but I can't think of a way to verbalize it. Any suggestions/insight??

Claire

Edited by morostheos

To have no attachment to sin is to be determined not to commit sin again and to be resolved to overcome temptations with God's help.

cmotherofpirl

Attachment to sin

Question from L.J. on 11-21-2001:

What exactly is meant by the term attachment to sin, especially as it related to plenary indulgences?

Answer by Bill Bilton on 11-21-2001:

It is a gap in one's purpose of amendment, as if he said to himself: "I do not intend to commit many or great sins. But I reserve a bit for myself: If it gets hard to join in a conversation without talking against neighbor -- I will do it. If it gets too hard to stick to the truth: I will lie. There are many other possibilities.

A person who has such an attitude does not have to do it consciously: it is merely the standard, habitual attitude of his soul: it sets limits to his response to God. It is as if he put a clamp on his heart, which lets it expand only so far, and no farther.

That gap not only blocks reception of a plenary indulgence (only a partial indulgence would be received) - it blocks all actual spiritual growth, no matter how many Masses a person may attend, or other good things. It is sad to see people who in general are very good, yet making no real growth. Soon a retreat is one time to examine one's attitudes: Do I really mean to hold out? Even if one does not realize he has such a defect, it still harms him. He can begin to really grow only when he finds he has the attitude and cleans it up.

EWTN.com

Edited by cmotherofpirl

I think it means not to be attached to sin in the sense that you are determined not to commit that sin again (to try), that you have no attachment to sin in the sense that you don't WANT to sin again, and that you'll try your hardest!

God Bless!

Vera

:o i 4got! i was sposed to write a column 4 kidkapps about these things!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:unsure: uh oh :ph34r:

oops! i posted at the same time as cmom!

Well, you won't need my little explanation anymore, now you have the official one! ;)