An Old School Catholic Message Board

I was recently tempted to apostasize

ICTHUS

Yesterday I had an experience in which I was tempted to give up. I despaired of my faith, thought that it was not worth it, and that the cost of following Christ was too great. My experience is [url="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91702"]given in more detail here[/url]

Yet I did not give up the Faith. I wanted to, honestly. Living without the problems that following Christ according to my conscience and the Word of God causes me with my,

1. Irreligious (actually, almost anti-Christian) mother
2. Roman Catholic extended family, who all but forced me into my confirmation when I was having doubts about it.

...is too much at times.

But I did not repudiate my faith, in spite of massive temptation. The truth is, I cannot imagine life apart from Christ. He defines my existance.

I was thinking about how different people would explain this. I am Reformed, so I would say that God, in His mercy, ordained that I should persevere through this temptation so that I may be strengthened in my faith and kept unto eternal life.

A Roman Catholic would no doubt relegate some power to my own will, saying that I had enough willpower to resist the temptation to apostasize. Yet this latter is not the case. I was ready to give up. But honestly, I cannot imagine life apart from Christ, as said above. God's [b]grace[/b], not good intentions or a strong will, enabled me to persevere through that despair and come out with an intact faith.

Praise God that His will, not mine, is the final say in my salvation...if it were, I would be royally screwed.

"A Roman Catholic would no doubt relegate some power to my own will, saying that I had enough willpower to resist the temptation to apostasize. "

This sort of nonsense makes me think Monk may have a point. How many times have you been told. All is grace. Grace assists the will. Someone put an end to this mans constant misrepresentations which are in fact in the category of LIES.

"Praise God that His will, not mine, is the final say in my salvation...if it were, I would be royally screwed. "

If you willfully resisted Catholicism and left or left because of wanton sin and persist in such error (rejecting God's grace that pulls you back toward her) you still are.

God bless

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Dec 27 2004, 06:28 PM'] Yesterday I had an experience in which I was tempted to give up. I despaired of my faith, thought that it was not worth it, and that the cost of following Christ was too great. My experience is [url="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91702"]given in more detail here[/url]

Yet I did not give up the Faith. I wanted to, honestly. Living without the problems that following Christ according to my conscience and the Word of God causes me with my,

1. Irreligious (actually, almost anti-Christian) mother
2. Roman Catholic extended family, who all but forced me into my confirmation when I was having doubts about it.

...is too much at times.

But I did not repudiate my faith, in spite of massive temptation. The truth is, I cannot imagine life apart from Christ. He defines my existance.

I was thinking about how different people would explain this. I am Reformed, so I would say that God, in His mercy, ordained that I should persevere through this temptation so that I may be strengthened in my faith and kept unto eternal life.

A Roman Catholic would no doubt relegate some power to my own will, saying that I had enough willpower to resist the temptation to apostasize. Yet this latter is not the case. I was ready to give up. But honestly, I cannot imagine life apart from Christ, as said above. God's [b]grace[/b], not good intentions or a strong will, enabled me to persevere through that despair and come out with an intact faith.

Praise God that His will, not mine, is the final say in my salvation...if it were, I would be royally screwed. [/quote]
Your understanding of the Catholic doctrine of grace is, to put it simply, in error. The Church teaches that man can only do what he is called upon to do in the order of salvation with the aid of God's grace. Any action that is done in the supernatural order has God as its primary efficient cause, while the man in question is a true but secondary cause of the supernaturally good act performed by him.

God bless,
Todd

It is amazing that despite being repeatedly called on the straw men that ICTHUS sets up for himself to attack, he persists.

[quote]ICTHUS, you have my prayers.[/quote]

Indeed.

Edited by james

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:32 PM'] "Praise God that His will, not mine, is the final say in my salvation...if it were, I would be royally screwed. "

If you willfully resisted Catholicism and left or left because of wanton sin and persist in such error (rejecting God's grace that pulls you back toward her) you still are.

God bless [/quote]
God's grace does not pull me back towads the Roman Catholic Church. It constantly shows me the errors of Roman Catholicism in light of God's Holy Word and makes me thank God that He prompted me to leave her damnable apostasy behind.

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:47 PM'] God's grace does not pull me back towads the Roman Catholic Church. It constantly shows me the errors of Roman Catholicism in light of God's Holy Word and makes me thank God that He prompted me to leave her damnable apostasy behind. [/quote]

And what accounts for your misrepresentations? Grace?

If the Roman Catholic Church is the synagogue of Satan, as you allege, surely you would be able to refute it's teachings without the use of false accusations.

Edited by james

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Dec 27 2004, 10:47 PM'] God's grace does not pull me back towads the Roman Catholic Church. It constantly shows me the errors of Roman Catholicism in light of God's Holy Word and makes me thank God that He prompted me to leave her damnable apostasy behind. [/quote]
hmmm....

If the Catholic Church is damnable... and the anglican church came from the Catholic Church, just as the anglican church proclaims... what does that make the anglican church?

if the Catholic Church is damnable, then there is no God, and therefore no such thing as damnation. So therefore it's not damnable. Wouldn't that mean if you're right, you're still wrong...

btw... if you haven't noticed, this red harring thread didn't work.... to me, this just affirms my theory that you where never Catholic.

Just like Rick Jones claims he was Catholic - [url="http://www.moraltruth.com/RJones-03.asp"]http://www.moraltruth.com/RJones-03.asp[/url]

I pray that God helps you,
ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:21 AM'] hmmm....

If the Catholic Church is damnable... and the anglican church came from the Catholic Church, just as the anglican church proclaims... what does that make the anglican church?

if the Catholic Church is damnable, then there is no God, and therefore no such thing as damnation. So therefore it's not damnable. Wouldn't that mean if you're right, you're still wrong...

btw... if you haven't noticed, this red harring thread didn't work.... to me, this just affirms my theory that you where never Catholic.

Just like Rick Jones claims he was Catholic - [url="http://www.moraltruth.com/RJones-03.asp"]http://www.moraltruth.com/RJones-03.asp[/url]

I pray that God helps you,
ironmonk [/quote]
I was never a Roman Catholic? Then why did I defend the Roman Catholic Church for a good year or so on CGR?

dairygirl4u2c

iron I'm serious when I say this. I think you need to see a psychiatrist. Talk to somebody about your catholic apologetic complexes.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:21 AM'] hmmm....

If the Catholic Church is damnable... and the anglican church came from the Catholic Church, just as the anglican church proclaims... what does that make the anglican church? [/quote]
It makes her reformed - having eliminated the errors inherent in Romanism and become pure again (aside from some liberal elements in the USA and Canada - Anglicanism worldwide is verymuch faithful to God's Word)

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:21 AM']

if the Catholic Church is damnable, then there is no God, and therefore no such thing as damnation. So therefore it's not damnable. Wouldn't that mean if you're right, you're still wrong... [/quote]
This does not follow.