An Old School Catholic Message Board

anti-papacy arguments

dairygirl4u2c

Phatmasser777

[quote name='robbie' date='Jan 3 2005, 03:43 PM']
Hasn't it already been (very well by the way) argued that for many many scriptural reasons Peter [i]was[/i] the first pope? And not [i]just[/i] because of "upon this rock."?

What evidence do you have to support that (I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just curious as to why you said this).

How do you know he taught this? (again, I;m just curious). [/quote]
A brilliant 2 part documentary "Peter & Paul & The Christian Revolution." Oh and check any encyclopedia or if you want it from the Church get the New St. Jeromes Biblical Commentary. Peter was the head of ONE community. Paul was the head of MANY. Infact it would be wise to say Paul would be the 'Pope' he had a lot more power and influence in the Christian community, and also proved one of Peters false beliefs (Pro-Torah Laws) wrong for a Christian. :) So he cant be Pope.

phatcatholic

phatmasser777...................so let me get this straight: you're catholic but you deny that Peter was the first pope?

HomeTeamFamily

im just wondering why someone comes on a Catholic board and wants us to defend a doctrine that >90 percent of users agrees with lol

Phatmasser777 is a Catholic who apparently denies Peter as the first pope and has some issues with reason, science, faith, morals, ethics, etc. from the Abortion and Transubstantiation threads.

I actually do see a point in what Dairy has posted. On the one hand, we must know the arguments against the papacy in order to defend it. On the other hand, we often point out that there is so much misunderstanding of Catholic doctrine, we might as well show that we understand the beliefs of others, even when those beliefs are threadbare, illogical, etc.

[quote name='Benedict' date='Jan 4 2005, 03:38 PM'] Phatmasser777 is a Catholic [/quote]
Has he said so? I mean, apart from listing "Katholik" as his religion in his profile?

Looking back through his posts, no. Throughout the abortion thread there is an implication of his being a very unorthodox or weak Catholic.

Katholik is how it is spelled in German (at least, [i]Der Katholik [/i]is) as well as Indonesian.

[quote name='Benedict' date='Jan 4 2005, 11:04 PM'] Katholik is how it is spelled in German (at least, [i]Der Katholik [/i]is) as well as Indonesian. [/quote]
And has he given any other reason, as I asked?

phatcatholic

well, which is it bro?

non-catholic or unorthodox catholic?

i don't really know how to respond to you until i have this answer......