ironman Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 I think in the next 5 years the scene is going to be way bigger and stronger. I live in So Cal, and from first hand experience of throwing shows and events we are gaining momentum. There's a lot of bands out here, and the more exposure and faith building that comes along, the more artists can latch on and start more bands. It's going to be sicky icky.......Phatmass has helped network a lot of individuals and artists to click up together and throw events, I can speak on that personally. So anyways, if someone wants to throw in their 2 cents on the scene, go for it. I just wanted to give props to Phatmass and thank them........
Philippe Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 i doubt it... the market is wayyyyyyyyyyy 2 small.
Dreamweaver Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 Hey, anything can happen! We've seen that many more young people are drawn to the Catholic faith, certainly some of them will be drawn to the music as well. I predict that the scene will only get bigger.
Krush2k2 Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 Yea, as for me, I don't think I could ever do like a show or be part of a show, my music feels so internal, I don't know if I'd be good at making it theatric. I'm a good actor and can do plays and other things on stage, but I doubt music would be a spotlight for me.
dtofdh Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 Ironman, I think it can definitely happen. There was a time when the Christian music scene was totally non-existant. It has gotten HUGE in a relatively short amount of time. All of us Catholic musicians have to keep the faith, and make it work! With God all things are possible. I'm from So. Cal too, by the way. What kind of music do you play? God Bless, DougT
ryanmeyersmusic Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 [quote] i doubt it... the market is wayyyyyyyyyyy 2 small. [/quote] The target audience is HUGE (there are a LOT of Catholic Christians just in the US, not to mention the world), so increasing the market would be the key. The more Catholics learn about artists expressing their faith and lives through music, the larger the market will become.
Chris Zewe Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 The world (yes, even America, where the average common sense rating is under 4%) is getting smarter and smarter as time goes on. In five years, there may be more listeners to Catholic music, but only due to the growing population. The ratio of Catholic-music-listeners to non is going to get a lot smaller on the left as time goes on.
ironman Posted January 2, 2005 Author Posted January 2, 2005 I know for a fact it's going to get bigger, with groups like Seven Sorrows, Mars Ill, Ryan Myers, Keith Roberts, Point 5, MC JUSt, this is just the beginning of a trend. Sure the scene isn't out on mainstream radio yet, but the underground will go mainstream, if the underground becomes strong enough. There's a lot of people out here in SO Cal, who are making the scene stronger and more exposed.
ironman Posted January 2, 2005 Author Posted January 2, 2005 Doug.......I don't play any instruments right now, what I am though is a promoter.....We have a show going down on April 30th in Corona, CA at St Edward's church, the concert is in the hall. The bands our Seven Sorrows, Oaks of Justice, and an additional band that's not yet confirmed yet. Jesse Romero will be the main speaker at the event doing a talk on the "Eucharist" we plan on having 300 young adults in attendance. It's going to be sicky icky......hit me up if you want to collabarate or be part of the movement.......
Chris Zewe Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 [quote name='ironman' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:40 PM'] I know for a fact it's going to get bigger, with groups like Seven Sorrows, Mars Ill, Ryan Myers, Keith Roberts, Point 5, MC JUSt, this is just the beginning of a trend. Sure the scene isn't out on mainstream radio yet, but the underground will go mainstream, if the underground becomes strong enough. There's a lot of people out here in SO Cal, who are making the scene stronger and more exposed. [/quote] No, you're just a complete idiot.
dtofdh Posted January 2, 2005 Posted January 2, 2005 Re: "No, your just a complete idiot." Ironman, That's great! I am very familiar with Jesse Romero. He's an awesome defender of the faith. I've been wanting to check out Seven Sorrows. We'll try to come see the show. Keep up the good work. You'll see the fruits of your labor someday soon. God Bless, DougT
Guest Eremite Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 Hopefully, if it does become bigger, it won't become some conglomerate attempt to "show them" [that is, the world]. There are a lot of Christian actors out there, but most of them are making cheesy Evangelical movies for TBN, INSP, etc. The Christian actors (or screenwriters) who truly make an impact are the ones willing to work through the Hollywood system, and transform it from within. Hollywood won't tolerate mediocrity, so they are FORCED to truly study their craft and become the best at what they do. We need Christian musicians to become the best at what they do. Not the best at what they do among Christians, but the best at what they do period.
dtofdh Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 (edited) It has been my experience that if you do not label yourself as anything specific, you can reach a lot more people. My band for instance, on our first album we were signed to a secular label. There was no Christian label attached to us, and we were able to reach the non Christians. With our second album, our record company was purchased by a Christian record company, and killed our secular distribution. So it depends on what audience you are intending to reach. The market we are trying to reach are the non Christians. How many heavy metal druggies wander into a Catholic bookstore to look for music? So for our specific ministry, it is better to be on a secular label. DougT Edited January 3, 2005 by dtofdh
rachael Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 [quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:57 PM'] No, you're just a complete idiot. [/quote] why are you so bitter and mean?
ironman Posted January 3, 2005 Author Posted January 3, 2005 AS for Chris Zewe.......he doesn't know what's up, he probably thought the "Passion" was going to be a flop. However, my buddy Zewe, if you do hang out on Phatmass enough and search for the "Truth" you'll eventually become Catholic and then understand. Anyways, in response to Doug, the music that is going to be represented is not going to be isolated from anyone. It's going to be good music, that happens to have a Catholic undertone
Chris Zewe Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 [quote name='ironman' date='Jan 2 2005, 08:15 PM'] AS for Chris Zewe.......he doesn't know what's up, he probably thought the "Passion" was going to be a flop. However, my buddy Zewe, if you do hang out on Phatmass enough and search for the "Truth" you'll eventually become Catholic and then understand. Anyways, in response to Doug, the music that is going to be represented is not going to be isolated from anyone. It's going to be good music, that happens to have a Catholic undertone [/quote] No, actually, I own The Passion and saw it shortly after its release because it looked good. The "Truth" about how amazingly fast Christian rap is gaining popularity? These forums have like 2000 users. WOW.
littleflower+JMJ Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 [quote name='ryanmeyersmusic' date='Jan 2 2005, 04:00 PM'] The target audience is HUGE (there are a LOT of Catholic Christians just in the US, not to mention the world), so increasing the market would be the key. The more Catholics learn about artists expressing their faith and lives through music, the larger the market will become. [/quote] i agree
Dreamweaver Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 [quote name='dtofdh' date='Jan 2 2005, 07:47 PM'] How many heavy metal druggies wander into a Catholic bookstore to look for music? [/quote] Thanks man for bringing a smile to my face. Thats a funny image. I do like metal music, and I also love Gregorian Chant. Though I can't find metal at our local catholic bookstore, I never leave sad!
dtofdh Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 Amen to that...my house is full of books and other things I could not find anywhere else. God bless, DougT
SevenSorrows Posted January 3, 2005 Posted January 3, 2005 [quote name='Philippe' date='Jan 2 2005, 03:08 AM'] i doubt it... the market is wayyyyyyyyyyy 2 small. [/quote] yeah, you're right... 1 billion people, out of a planet of 6 billion...and being the largest Christian religion in the world....yeah no market. Why even try.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now