An Old School Catholic Message Board

Research paper

FiZzGiG

Hey! We have to write a research paper (a relatively short paper) for English class, and it can be on practically anything. So I was wondering if some of you could help me with my topic!

I really want to do something involving Celtic mythology and it's relation to Christianity.
(for example, the number three is a theme in Celtic mythology, so because of the Christian belief of the Trinity, they, perhaps, were more drawn to that religion)

It'd be awesome if anyone could input ideas! I just want part of my topic to half to do with something Celtic or Irish... I gotta express my heritage! :D

woot! Thanks guys and gals!!!

~Kerry~

Noel's angel

u could write about pre- Patrician Christianity in Ireland, all about the religious background, dicuss the possibilities of existance of Chritianity in Ireland before Saint Patrick i.e Bishop Paladius etc, discuss his writing, compare them with writings of hagiographers.

Edited by Noel's angel

MilesChristi

+JMJ+

You could research how the Church "baptized" various pagan practices, like those of the Celts, and incorporated them into our worship of the one, true God.

Noel's angel

yeah, that comes under religious background and how Patricj adopted the practise of inculturation etc. they worshipped the sun, so he used this to tell them about Jesus the true Son

I have been studying this since September for my A levels, so if u need any help, just ask

Edited by Noel's angel

wow you guys, awesome!!

i was thinking along the lines of MilesChristi:

showing the relationship between the pagan practices and Christian practices

it's only a highschool paper and is short for a research paper, so i can't go into complete detail
so i have to have a topic that won't require such details

and Noel's angel, i like the idea of showing how Patrick practiced inculturation.

actually, i like it a lot. do you have any links maybe? or suggested readings?

Edited by FiZzGiG

Noel's angel

most of the stuff i have are on handouts given to me by my teacher, but if you have any questions about anything ill try and help

Try a reasearch on STIGMATA, i did one for a class once and it really got everyones attention and got me a good grade ;)

Noel's angel

by the way, there is no mention in his Confession about him driving snakes from ireland or using a shamrock to explain the Trinity, these myths were only told hundreds of years after his death

Noel's angel

ill post some stuff i got from my teacher tomorrow morning before i go to Mass, cause its getting late now.

haha! i just read about that! sweet!

i was thinking that i could first suggest that the Celtics were more open to Christianity because of Celtic myth's parallels to Christianity. then, i could describe some of those parallels

then i thought i could show how St. Patrick used these parallels in converting the Irish and how he made somewhat of a new Catholicism, in the sense that he didn't "Romanize" the Irish

i read somewhere, that at the time, to be Catholic was to be Roman, in many ways. But St. Patrick didn't force that upon the Irish.

whaddya think??

i'm feeling good about this paper!

Noel's angel

yeah, i think u have some really good ideas. the pagans in ireland believed in the survival of the soul after death as well, so they were already open to Chritianity.

ill post more in depth stuff tomorrow morning along with some quotes from Patrick's writings

oh my goodnes, thank you SO much!!

i just read Patrick's Confession

i noticed how he called Christ the "sun" rather than the "son," so that's definitely a citation for my paper

you're so awesome! thank you!!

Noel's angel

Just as the Celts never organised into one political unit, they never created a single religion. There are some common elements of religious belief and worship of certain gods-but every region and Tuat had its own particular gods and godesses(the Celts being polytheists) De Paor comments that the Celts in Ireland did not have an organised system of religion, but more likely- 'an ill defined mixture of practise and beliefs'

The Celts were undoubtedly a superstitious people. But they can also be considred a deeply spiritual people, who were inquisitive and receptive to new ideas(important for Christianity)

Mackey suggests that 'there was the practice of a naturalistic religion along with belief in a fancifully conceived other world'

The Celts held a conviction of the nearness of the spiritual world in all things at all times. The 'other world' was part of everyday life-gods were everywhere and ruled every aspect of life. The Celts believed that everything was sacred and therefore these gods encountered everywhere must be honoured through ritual and sacrifice. They were to be found in the elements of earth, water, fire and air. Magic and rituals were connected to nature as the Celts respected and worshipped nateure. The sun, trees, animals(raven, bull, swan, horse) rivers (important of holy wells in Irish Christianity) stones, hills were all considered sacred as they believed they were the dwelling places of gods and spirits.

Their faith was practiced between woods and sacred groves. Gods and godesses were frequently worshipped and sacrifices (material, animal and human) were made to pacify them.

The Irish pagans believed in the survival of the soul after death. The Celts sometimes cremated their dead, often burying them with offerings of food and jewellery. They believed that the purifying properties of fire released the spirit into the after life. After their death, they believed they joined their ancestors in a beautiful place, free from toil and trouble-the land of Tir-na-nOg, the Land of Eternal Youth (important for Christianity)

i have to go for my dinner now, but i will post more afterwards

hope this helps