Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Long Distance RElationships...


Do long distance relationships work?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

i need your opinions on this and why....i'm confuzzled right now. my friend tells me that long distance isn't a good enough reason to not enter into a relationship...what do you all think? :huh:

Posted

It has been my expirence that long term relationships end in heartbreak and disaster...

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

i wish i can give you a definite yes or no but really i think it depends........


it takes two very special ppl and a very good relationship to make it possible.

it also depends on the length/distance between the two and how long it will be that way.

i think both have to be committed to make it work since for a long distance relationship it will take work from both of you, so there has to be a yes from each party ;) and that a sacrifices will be made

what would make it possible or easier is that you and the other person already have established a connection and are "in it" for the long run...

its also good to be realistic and remember you probably wont be able to hang or see that person much either :( -_- which can be critical if you two are still getting to know each other and dont have the chance to do just that.....

but dont listen to me.......here i am talking .........no experience or resume to support it but i figured it might be worth something....lol

but i do know they can and do work sometimes..... i think it all depends. i've heard of many relationships for the time they were courting they were away from each other but did visit........i do know they mention is not easy but hard.....

brigitta should be able to answer lol and share alot more than I

homeschoolmom
Posted

I think it depends... was there a relationship prior to the distance or is this strictly a distance relationship?

Posted

I've witnessed long-distance relationships go both ways. Like littleflower said, I think it has a lot to do with how strong the relationship is at the outset, and with the goals and desires of the two people involved.

Posted

Sometimes...and it depends how far they live......yup yup

Posted

I voted yes. They can and do work. But both people must want it to work. I started dating the girl that would become my wife after I was in the Marines for two years. We dated for two more years until I got out, long distance (a minimum of 800 miles away). In fact, I proposed two days before going overseas, so we spent the first six months of our engagement cooresponding by letter and a very occasional (rare) phone call. We didn't see each other the entire six months. So it can work. You just have to want it to.

Suggestion:
I don't recommend trying to plan a wedding from a pay phone in Rhodes. It was a rather expensive phone call and we came to no conlusions.

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jan 11 2005, 09:11 AM']
I don't recommend trying to plan a wedding from a pay phone in Rhodes. It was a rather expensive phone call and we came to no conlusions. [/quote]
aaaaww lol that must have been difficult

Posted

Sure, long distance relationships can work. But you really really have to love each other, and you really really have to be committed to each other, otherwise those lovey dovey feelings will evaporate and their will be nothing holding it together.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jan 11 2005, 09:11 AM'] I don't recommend trying to plan a wedding from a pay phone in Rhodes. It was a rather expensive phone call and we came to no conlusions. [/quote]
why'd she bother calling you? I thought the groom was only supposed to know time and place... what do you think bridesmaids are for?

homeschoolmom
Posted

btw, i know they can work... Hsdad and I were apart for much of our too-long engagement and the first six months of our marriage...

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 11 2005, 10:39 AM'] why'd she bother calling you? I thought the groom was only supposed to know time and place... what do you think bridesmaids are for? [/quote]
She didn't call me. I called her and we were discussing time and place. Plus, we were not on the exact same page as far as the faith goes (mostly pertaining to liturgy.) She didn't disagree with me, she simply didn't have formulated reasons for believing it and so could have been easily swayed in the wrong direction. I was making sure that I stayed involved to keep nosey friends and relatives from having an undue influence on my wedding.

homeschoolmom
Posted

Okay... I was afraid there for a minute that you were arguing about flowers or colors or something... I was losing respect for you at a rapid pace...

:P

homeschoolmom
Posted

double post...

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 11 2005, 09:52 AM'] Okay... I was afraid there for a minute that you were arguing about flowers or colors or something... I was losing respect for you at a rapid pace...

:P [/quote]
Come on -- how long have you known PSPX? Don't you know by now that he wouldn't be arguing over flowers and colors?

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 11 2005, 10:03 AM'] Come on -- how long have you known PSPX? Don't you know by now that he wouldn't be arguing over flowers and colors? [/quote]
Well, I didn't figure that he'd have to argue anything else...

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 11 2005, 10:52 AM'] Okay... I was afraid there for a minute that you were arguing about flowers or colors or something... I was losing respect for you at a rapid pace...

:P [/quote]
Yup. I wanted mauve but she demanded fuchsia. I was so upset.










:shootme:

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 11 2005, 11:07 AM'] Well, I didn't figure that he'd have to argue anything else... [/quote]
The only argument was over the date. The rest I was simply taking preventative measures.

Posted

Any relationship works with prayer and conformity to the Will of God. Period.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

They can work...but they're not for everyone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...