An Old School Catholic Message Board

How do you go about explaining these things?

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

Ok. Ive been having some troubles explaining certain aspects of the church to those outside the catholic church, yet still christians. The Pope, Confession, our devotion to Mary are the 3 big ones. Ive used scripture that obviously proves things, yet they refuse to accept this. I was wondering if you could help me by telling me in your own words and though processes about these things. I have looked at the refereces and stuff, but there is nothing better to use than the thought processes of you all, your good at this stuff. So if you could please help me out here, i would appreciate it greatly. Thanks :)

I could certainly give you long explanations of these three. But I think that if you have done that what is left for you is to pray for your friend. The truth is found by the grace of God. If you give all the verses and they reject the words then what is lacking is God's grace. Speak less and pray more. If you insist I will post some of what I think are effective arguements.

I agree with thessalonian. You've given proof of each of these truths yet you still see them refusing to believe. The best thing to do now is pray for them. You can give all the proof there is in the world to a single person, and that proof be completely truthful yet that person still refuses to believe. What's missing is a heart that is open to receiving this truth. Pray that God will open this person's heart and mind. Ask Our Lady of Perpetual Help ;) She's has never failed.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jan 16 2005, 12:58 AM'] Thanks. I will make sure to do so right away. May the grace of the Lord come quickly and fully. [/quote]
^_^ good good ^_^ btw Welcome to Phatmass ^_^ I love your name hehe Defender of the Faith, a title given to King Henry VIII by Pope Leo X for writing a book in which defended the sacrament of marriage and the authority of the Pope ^_^ This of course before breaking away from the Church. lol Enough History now lol If you need anything else let us know ^_^

God Bless,
Jennie

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jan 16 2005, 01:09 AM'] Thanks, this place just sucked me right in, lol. Its so awesome here, its beyond words. :D

-Jared [/quote]
hehe Phatmass has that kind of power over people lol ^_^ Believe me I know ;)

God Bless,
Jennie

I agree with the above statements.

however in case

Jesus asks Peter three times if he loves him. He says Yes. Jesus says upon this rock i will build my Church. (you prolly used that one)

Mary's importance - wedding at Cana. Though it wasn't yet his time Jesus consented to the will of his mother.

Confession - i look at it like this. It does not replace direct Confession to God. You can still always do that. You don't really [b]have[/b] to confess. I don't mean that like you never should. I love Confession, it is just we must choose to accept God's grace. Our beliefs also imply that the priest is the physical presence of the Spiritual Christ. Confessing to the priest is like Confessing to God. It is also an opportunity for God to pour out his graces on a soul. That is not a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Catholictothecore

DAN IT! I can't find chapter and verse, but I know in one of the gospels, (John, I think), Jesus says to his apostles "Receive the Holy Spirit! Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained!" How did they know to forgive or retain unless the penitent confessed?

I've had this problem with non-Catholics as well. I live if a concentration of protestants who all go to the same church lead by the same ex-catholic, anti-catholic fanatic! (talks himself down) Anyway, I've gotten into several "conversations", once with the pastor himself! i've started now by saying I'm not even interested unless they open their hearts to the remote possability I mgiht be right.

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:36 PM'] DAN IT! I can't find chapter and verse, but I know in one of the gospels, (John, I think), Jesus says to his apostles "Receive the Holy Spirit! Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain, they are retained!" How did they know to forgive or retain unless the penitent confessed?

I've had this problem with non-Catholics as well. I live if a concentration of protestants who all go to the same church lead by the same ex-catholic, anti-catholic fanatic! (talks himself down) Anyway, I've gotten into several "conversations", once with the pastor himself! i've started now by saying I'm not even interested unless they open their hearts to the remote possability I mgiht be right. [/quote]
John 20:21 is the verse your looking for. Oh by the way, if your ever having trouble finding a verse www.unboundbible is very good for doing searches.

Here is a search engine for the RSV, my favorite.

[url="http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html"]http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html[/url]

God bless

Edited by thessalonian

• 4 years later...
Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1945493' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name=[/quote]
What's with you and FD's old threads? Lol.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1945767' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:55 PM']It's practically stalking.[/quote]
Dairy+Fidei Forever?