BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 ok . . . so maybe a thousand people are gonna disagree, but I think Arlington was great under its last bishop and especially its last vocation director, but I think the jury is still out in my mind on Loverde . . . I'm sure some people up in New York can tell us more about him . ..
Dave Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 I live in the Archdiocese of Atlanta, and yes, I'd have to agree that it's a really wonderful archdiocese. Lots of vocations and lots of emphasis on eucharistic adoration!
Paladin D Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Too bad I live in the Diocese of Richmond, VA. :(
Spiritual_Arsonist Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 OK guys, howabout any Diocese that has a strong Bishop, many vocations, and great liturgies?
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Too bad I live in the Diocese of Richmond, VA. There is hope . . . we call it an Age Limit . . . and mortality . . . both of which are good words when talking about American Bishops . . . usually . . .
Paladin D Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 There is hope . . . we call it an Age Limit . . . and mortality . . . both of which are good words when talking about American Bishops . . . usually . . . Am I in any danger though?
vianney Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 just a minor point but sioux falls is in south dakota. And Bishop Dinardo from Diocese of Sioux City is right in line with the churcha nd knows his stuff. He is changing the diocese into orthodoxy day by day.
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Am I in any danger though? umm . . . danger? Well, let's just say that Sullivan isn't known for his Orthodoxy . . . but there are good priests in your diocese I'm sure . . . And you guys have a new bishop (or will soon) LUCKILY, Deacon Keith Fournier is in your diocese (he runs Deacons in the Service of Life and Third Millenium) he could point you to a good priest This is an article he just wrote about the fact that your Bishop just reached the age limit and resigned: http://home.christianity.com/ministries/ed...cway/66819.html
M.SIGGA Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 The Archdiocese of New Orleans is the most rockin' diocese in the United States! It's the only city in the US where there is a Catholic institution on almost every corner and where almost all restaurants have a lenten menu and where everyone in the city has ashes on their heads on Ash Wednesday. Also it's cool b/c if you use public transportation, almost everyone sitting in the street cars and buses uniformly make the sign of the cross when speeding past Catholic Churches. There are Three Catholic Universities and Notre Dame Seminary and a million Catholic schools and high schools to chose from. There are numerous traditional, life teen, charismatic, african american, and bilingual masses to chose from, and I think our city has the prettiest and biggest churches in the entire United States b/c our bishops haven't gotten too liberal yet . Our 200 yr old St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest and most amesome in the United States and we have the biggest Carnival celebration in the northern hemisphere. It's also one of the few cities where you can find a mass to go to on almost every hour from 8am to 9pm on Sundays. ''In a Catholic city (country) one will find good music, dancing and fine wine!"
notbilln Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Tough question. So many factors to weigh. I dont think I Know enough about any diocese other than the one I'm currently in to make a fair judgement. But that also means I have nothing to compare my own with. Our bishop of Rockford, IL is a very good administrator, is wise, and has a wonderful heart, but sometimes he has a hard time relating to people. We have more vocations than the archdiocese of chicago does with a fraction of the population. So we aren't doing too badly , but there is a great deal of improvement that can be made. Plus the larger population as a whole contians many jerks that we don't seem to be having much of an influence upon. I think we are too silent as a church. We need to speak out about issues that effect the larger community to the larger community.
M.SIGGA Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 ohh yeah... New Olreans is home to Bl. Fancis Seelos, was a home to St. Katherine Drexel, St. Francis Cabrini, and Servant of God Henriette Delille. Bl. Francis Seelos has a beautiful shrine at St. Mary's Assumption Church in New Orleans where he is buried. Our football team was even named the New Orleans SAINTS after the city's Catholic heritage.
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 The Archdiocese of New Orleans is the most rockin' diocese in the United States! It's the only city in the US where there is a Catholic institution on almost every corner and where almost all restaurants have a lenten menu and where everyone in the city has ashes on their heads on Ash Wednesday. Also it's cool b/c if you use public transportation, almost everyone sitting in the street cars and buses uniformly make the sign of the cross when speeding past Catholic Churches. There are Three Catholic Universities and Notre Dame Seminary and a million Catholic schools and high schools to chose from. There are numerous traditional, life teen, charismatic, african american, and bilingual masses to chose from, and I think our city has the prettiest and biggest churches in the entire United States b/c our bishops haven't gotten too liberal yet . Our 200 yr old St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest and most amesome in the United States and we have the biggest Carnival celebration in the northern hemisphere. It's also one of the few cities where you can find a mass to go to on almost every hour from 8am to 9pm on Sundays. ''In a Catholic city (country) one will find good music, dancing and fine wine!" Yup . .. and Nawlin's Mardi Gras is practically a Rosary Procession!!! And all those Voodo Shops in the Quarter, well, they're just for tourists right??? And there is absolutely NO tradition of Prostitution in New Orleans, and those that are prostitutes take Good Friday off right? And Mary Landrieu, Madame Pro-Abortion Catholic Senator . . . she's an old New Orleans family right? Just teasing of course . . . :P
Mateo el Feo Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 ok . . . so maybe a thousand people are gonna disagree, but I think Arlington was great under its last bishop and especially its last vocation director, but I think the jury is still out in my mind on Loverde . . . I'm sure some people up in New York can tell us more about him . .. I agree re: Bishop Loverde. He inherited an orthodox diocese; but can't really take credit for creating the faithfulness. I suppose a good way to judge him would be to read his contributions to the Arlington Catholic Herald (his sermons appear each week). Arlington Catholic Herald When I was a kid, Father Gould (The previous Arlington vocation director you mentioned) was one of our priests at our Parish (Holy Spirit in Annandale, VA). He is amesome! Lately, I see him on EWTN once in a while. A tragic related event: Father Gould, when he was at Holy Spirit, served under our main pastor Msgr. James McMurtrie. Msgr. McMurtrie just passed away this week (as mentioned in the Arlington Catholic Herald). Please keep him in your prayers. In Christ, Mateo
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 I agree re: Bishop Loverde. He inherited an orthodox diocese; but can't really take credit for creating the faithfulness. I suppose a good way to judge him would be to read his contributions to the Arlington Catholic Herald (his sermons appear each week). Arlington Catholic Herald When I was a kid, Father Gould (The previous Arlington vocation director you mentioned) was one of our priests at our Parish (Holy Spirit in Annandale, VA). He is amesome! Lately, I see him on EWTN once in a while. A tragic related event: Father Gould, when he was at Holy Spirit, served under our main pastor Msgr. James McMurtrie. Msgr. McMurtrie just passed away this week (as mentioned in the Arlington Catholic Herald). Please keep him in your prayers. In Christ, Mateo prayers going to heaven right now for Msrg McMurtie's soul . . . And I like Bishop Loverde's column . . . but unfortunatley I say the proof is in the pudding . . . or the decision making in the diocese . . . Ive heard a good sermon preached and then seen bishops appoint active homosexuals or dissenitng nuns to jobs in the diocese . . . Ora Pro Nobis, Maria Regina Presbytorum!!
Norseman82 Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Sioux Falls has good youth ministry along with huge seminarians. Did they used to play football or do they just eat a lot????? :lol: :lol:
Norseman82 Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Seriously, please pray for Cardinal George here in Chicago. He has a big job on his hands.
M.SIGGA Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Yup . .. and Nawlin's Mardi Gras is practically a Rosary Procession!!! And all those Voodo Shops in the Quarter, well, they're just for tourists right??? And there is absolutely NO tradition of Prostitution in New Orleans, and those that are prostitutes take Good Friday off right? And Mary Landrieu, Madame Pro-Abortion Catholic Senator . . . she's an old New Orleans family right? Just teasing of course . . . Ooooo... that was a hit below the belt Our other Catholic senator is John Breaux and he's a good Catholic politician and the French Quarter (I'm guessing you mean Bourbon St. specifically w/ the voodoo stuff) is only one small section of the French Quarter, and a minute street in a Big Catholic City. The French Quarter is also the location of our Cathedral, two Catholic schools, three parishes, two convents, a shrine to St. Ann and a church with 24hr adoration of the Bl. Sacrament - those aspects usually aren't shown on the Girls Gone Wild comercials. Mardi Gras isn't all what you see on tv, it's a city-wide celebration and the only parts that are shown on tv are in the smutty area's of the city like Bourbon St. And yes, we are still the BEST Archdiocese in the USA.
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 ok . . . I'll give you props and you last bishop was a holy holy man . . . too bad the seminary there in the 80's was called "Notre Flame" Anyway . . . I'll give New Orleans props, as soon as I get out and visit again . . . the last time i went I was not quite interested in 24 hour Adoration . .. . more the Girls Gone Wild thing . . . Oh Happy Grace!
vianney Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 Blazer you were into that girls gone wild stuff...Being a girl i am intersted to know what/how you lived your life before your change of heart. I really have never heard a girls story before all males.
BLAZEr Posted October 23, 2003 Posted October 23, 2003 LOL . . . I'm a guy . . . I was more interested in looking for the "girls gone wild" . . . LOL
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now