An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gunther von Hagens

Noel's angel

after watching 'Anatomy For Beginners' on Channel 4, I became intruiged by the work of Gunther von Hagens and I was just wondering what everyone thought of what he does....

Gunther von Hagens is the inventor of the plastination technique and creator of the BODY WORLDS exhibition. In 1965, he began his medical studies at the University of Jena. He spent two years as a political prisoner in East Germany after having distributed leaflets protesting against the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw Pact troops and an unsuccessful attempt at escaping from East Germany. In 1970 the West German government bought his freedom for US$20.000, enabling him to finalize his medical studies at the University of Lübeck in 1973. In 1974, he received his license to practice medicine before moving to the University of Heidelberg, where he finalized his doctoral thesis as a resident in the Department of Anaesthetics and Emergency Medicine in 1975. He started an eighteen-year career as a resident and lecturer in the Institute of Pathology and the Institute of Anatomy at the Heidelberg University in 1976.

Back in 1977, at the department of Anatomy of Heidelberg University, he invented plastination as a groundbreaking technology for preserving
anatomical specimens with reactive polymers. The process was patented
between 1978 and 1982. Also in 1978, Gunther von Hagens started his own company, BIODUR Products, which has since marketed special polymers and equipment for plastination. These are currently exported to four hundred institutions in forty different countries worldwide. Gunther von Hagens founded the Heidelberg-based Institute for Plastination in 1993, with the aim of offering plastinated specimens for educational use and for the BODY WORLDS exhibition, which had its premiere in Japan in 1995. He finalized his engagements at Heidelberg University in 1995 and consequently accepted a visiting professorship at Dalian Medical University in China in 1996. In the same year, he also became the director of the plastination research centre at the State Medical Academy in Bishkek/Kyrgyzstan. He has since been active at both locations and in 2001 additionally founded a private company (the "Von Hagens Dalian Plastination Ltd.") in Dalian, China, which currently employs two hundred people.

interesting guy....

[img]http://metamedia.stanford.edu/imagebin/plastination-one.jpg[/img]

I don't know how I feel about real bodies being plasticized permanently.....I mean they really can't decompose at all now can they.

At least with the current method of forma and formeldahyde they decompose eventually, even if it is not right away.

This whole thing is kinda creepy to me, and I have been in cadaver labs and not been creeped out. It is like a discordant note ya know. i really think that we humans are all to intent on making things last forever.

it's an interesting idea. he is trying to educate the general public about their own bodies.

I dont think lasticising keeps them from decomposing permemantly, but for longer than other methods

What do I think of him? I think his name rules! "John" is so boring for me... But seriously, i think that it's a little weird and a little bit wrong that he did that, though I must give credit that he 1.) Dared to do that 2.) Has the talent to do that (that sure wasn't easy) and 3.) Has an awesome name. I'd seen something on him before, and he injected stuff into the dead persons bloodstream, and that somehow preserves them. The end result is pretty amazing though, I must admit. It was just a matter of time until someone came up with that idea, so I dont think it could have been avoided.