An Old School Catholic Message Board

Updates on my discernment

goldenchild17

goldenchild17

I'm like as sure as I can be that I have a calling to the priesthood. I'm still trying to discern whether I'm to go the diocesan route or join an order. If I join an order, I feel really called to the Society of Our Lady of the Most Blessed Trinity.

The thing is, I haven't gotten all that much encouragement from the diocesan vocations director and I'm not sure that the SOLT vocation director is going to be all that supporting.

I have a disease called Spina Bifida which keeps me in a wheelchair, and requires me to use special equipment(that I don't think is all that expensive).

I really don't believe that a disease should be able to prohibit someone from entering their calling in life. On the other hand, maybe my disease is a clue that I don't have a calling to the priesthood... I hardly think that's the case though.

What do ya'll think?

Hmmm....

I remember reading about this area.

I don't see why one with a disease can't be a priest, if God wills it, he wills it.

It depends upon the diocese and/or order if they will accept you because of your disease.

You should consult the vocations director of the dioceses/order.

Wow I don't have any advise for you but you are DEFINITELY in my prayers. I know how hard discernment can be, no matter what your situation is. God BLESS you and know that you have our prayers.

Totus tuus,
Lauren
(2ManArmy from CGR;))

goldenchild17

Thanks. I had my first phone interview w/the SOLT vocations director. He's going to get with his superiors and get their opinion. We'll see what happens.

goldenchild17

Yeah it is. They're also the ones who run Corpus Christi College in Corpus Christi TX. I'm also planning on contacting the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, and the Society of Mary(I think that's what they're called) founded by St. Louis de Montfort. What's your opinions of those orders?

Edited by goldenchild17

Another one to consider contacting is the Benedictines in St. Louis. They are really cool, and I have a friend who has spina bifida and is in a wheelchair and they invited him to consider their life (so they might be open to it)

goldenchild17

Are you a part of them? I must say I haven't had a very good experience with them... Maybe it was just the priests that I knew though.

Well, I'm not a part of them, but I did look into it, but I feel they lean more towards Pre-Vatican. But if I become a diocesean priest, I will have a close bond with the Legion.

I don't mean to sound harsh here, but I think you should be a bit careful about how you use the word 'pre-vatican'. Vatican II did not intend for ancient traditions to be thrown out or cast aside. Now I'm not saying that they have been, But it is important to note that beautiful traditional practices have their place in the Church, and do not compete with Vatican II in any way.

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Feb 4 2005, 09:41 PM'] I don't mean to sound harsh here, but I think you should be a bit careful about how you use the word 'pre-vatican'. Vatican II did not intend for ancient traditions to be thrown out or cast aside. Now I'm not saying that they have been, But it is important to note that beautiful traditional practices have their place in the Church, and do not compete with Vatican II in any way. [/quote]
I think I worded that wrong.

I'm not intending to say that the Legion is pre-vatican. I love the Legion and am still considering a vocation with them, but really think, Bishop Zubik needs me here in GB

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jan 30 2005, 12:39 AM'] I have a disease called Spina Bifida which keeps me in a wheelchair, and requires me to use special equipment(that I don't think is all that expensive).

I really don't believe that a disease should be able to prohibit someone from entering their calling in life. On the other hand, maybe my disease is a clue that I don't have a calling to the priesthood... I hardly think that's the case though.

What do ya'll think? [/quote]
I know that it can depend on the Charity organizations willing to help. I don't know if that would affect your ability to be ordained, but I do not see why it would. It is good that you have contacted some Superiors on the matter. Have you heard back about that?