An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lystra's Silence

melporcristo

THis band [url="http://www.lystrasilence.com/"]Lystra's Silence[/url] were good friends of mine back in the CYO days about 5 years ago. All members were Catholic and yet playing at Protestant events. Now all members are no longer Catholic yet they play at local Catholic events since the two band member's mom is still Catholic. Please please pray for them, friends. They are getting a little big but I continually feel called to talk with them about the Church and why they left ...

I'm pretty sure they all did. Two members, the lead singer and the drummer got married outside of the Church and the others don't want to consider themselves Catholic anymore. It's just an example of what the industry does to your band I guess. Their music is played on Christian radio around the Northwest but from Calvery Chapel radio stations -- If they are played on that station, chances are the band had to sign a contract stating they weren't Catholic.

It's funny, because I found out about them while ago on a Catholic music website, but I was wondering if they were actually Catholic or not, because nothing in their website suggested that they were actually Catholic.

:o Woah! What web site were they on? This is crazyness ...
Actually, I would be curious to see what they would say if you asked them if they were Catholic now. They don't answer any of my e-mails anymore and I reall didn't get that because I was asking if they wanted to be booked at my school. Do you like their music? I guess they are trying to get played on a secular radio station.

I met Lystra's Silence at NCYC in 1999 and interviewed them for my radio show. At the time it was my understanding they were all Catholic. This was with the original line up. Sometime after I got an email that they were disbanding, but the reformed in college with a few new members.

I notice that they only link to a non-denom styled youth outreach church. I wrote Dave last year about a project and inquired about whether they were a "Catholic band." This was in regards to appearing at CrossRoads a Catholic music festival [http://www.crossroadsfestival.com]. Dave wrote back and said they were " a christian band but maintained close ties to the Church." Make of that what you will.

These guys are massively talented. Whoah. Could be the new members, the move to college and the "youth outreach" did a number on them. It happens.

Lar

I guess this goes along with the fact that the close ties with the Church are to play at the youth conventions ... but its like the same issues I have that others have with protestant bands playing at Catholic events. The non-denom. youth outreach thing is Foursquare Church. Not very "non-denom." either; this church trashes the Catholic Church and for the usual reasons, misinformation. **Sigh ** Well, thanks for the info ... Pray for the band.
Pax Christi,
Mel

Hey all,

I currently run Lystra's Silence's website and happened to see a couple referels from this message board. When i get bored at work I like to see what kind of discussions are going on around the web when it comes to my friends band. Well, I stumbled across this thread.

I have known the members of this band for many years. Most of what is speculated in this thread is not true. If you would like to know more about the details of their experiences and choices these past few years, I would suggest emailing them at info@lystrasilence.com .

On a personal note, I am not Catholic and there are some things about Catholacism that I do not agree with, but at the same time there many things that have challenged and strengthened my faith in God. I do have a very deep love and respect for the people I have met over the years that are part of the Catholic community in our town. I have no doubt that many of the people I have met (including the parents of the band members) have a very deep and very real relationship with our Creator. I also happen to know that the members of Lystra's Silence continue to honor, bless, and keep relationship with their friends and family that are part of the Catholic church.

Again, feel free to shoot them an email. They are busy people, but they do read their emails from time to time.

Thanks,

davin

Edited by davin

Welcome to the phorum Davin! I actually know you from IF and the Foursquare Youth Group. I was posting the question on the band because as knowing the band I wanted to see if anyone knew if they were Catholic or not. I'm not sure what we said about Lystra's that was false though. Hope to see you here more often!
Pax Christi,
Mel

[quote name='melporcristo' date='Feb 12 2005, 10:26 PM'] Welcome to the phorum Davin! I actually know you from IF and the Foursquare Youth Group. I was posting the question on the band because as knowing the band I wanted to see if anyone knew if they were Catholic or not. I'm not sure what we said about Lystra's that was false though. Hope to see you here more often!
Pax Christi,
Mel [/quote]
Thank you for the welcome.

I think that I do rememeber meeting you. I actually am not a part of the Foursquare youth group, but I am part of Freedom.

A lot of your specualtions about certain band members decisions on their faith being based around their success, having to sign contracts, or influence and pressure from the industry is not true. I am assuming that the "non-denom" youth outreach your are refering to is Freedom and to let you know, it is not a part of the Foursquare denomination. The only tie it has is the leader happens to be a pastor at the Foursquare church, however the rest of the leadership and the weekly attendies cover a pretty diverse swath of the local Christian community.

I can not really answer for the band as far as what they would label themselves. THis is how I see them though. They are not a Catholic band, nor are they a Christian band or any other kind of band for that matter. They are a group of VERY talented individuals that have a very deep love and passion for Jesus and their art reflects that in their music. They are musicians and their inpiration is God. They all have personal convictions of faith and act on them. They are also some of the most humble and real musicians that I have ever met.

I am pretty confident that Dave or Sherry would talk to you about their decisions and faith if you asked them.

Talk to you soon

davin

Davin,

The question of whether Lystra's Silence is Catholic only arises out of the fact that all of the members were at one time. What difference does it make? Well, I would listen to them and buy their CDs whether they are Catholic or not, based entirely on their talent. On the other hand, I wouldn't invite them to play at the CrossRoads Catholic Music Festival if they are not, in fact, Catholic.

It's one thing to not be Catholic. It's another thing entirely to have once been Catholic and to have left the Church. The first is often simply a fact of personal history, being raised in some other denomination or never truly being exposed to the fullness of the Faith. The other is a refutation of the truth of the Catholic faith.

It's interesting to me that you suggest that we contact the band directly. That's exactly what I did. I emailed David with a fairly straightforward question and the response was vague.

But I am not too disturbed by this. When I was in college I had a very moving religious experience that led me to worship for a while with a group called the Maranatha Mission. I didn't attend Mass nor did I consider myself Catholic. In the larger scheme of things, God had a plan and something to teach me. In the fullness of his plan for my life he eventually led me back into the Catholic Church, by his wonderful mercy.

Perhaps Lystras's Silence is simply on the same wandering path. God writes straight with crooked lines.

Lar

[quote name='lar' date='Feb 13 2005, 01:20 AM'] Davin,

The question of whether Lystra's Silence is Catholic only arises out of the fact that all of the members were at one time. What difference does it make? Well, I would listen to them and buy their CDs whether they are Catholic or not, based entirely on their talent. On the other hand, I wouldn't invite them to play at the CrossRoads Catholic Music Festival if they are not, in fact, Catholic.

It's one thing to not be Catholic. It's another thing entirely to have once been Catholic and to have left the Church. The first is often simply a fact of personal history, being raised in some other denomination or never truly being exposed to the fullness of the Faith. The other is a refutation of the truth of the Catholic faith.

It's interesting to me that you suggest that we contact the band directly. That's exactly what I did. I emailed David with a fairly straightforward question and the response was vague.

But I am not too disturbed by this. When I was in college I had a very moving religious experience that led me to worship for a while with a group called the Maranatha Mission. I didn't attend Mass nor did I consider myself Catholic. In the larger scheme of things, God had a plan and something to teach me. In the fullness of his plan for my life he eventually led me back into the Catholic Church, by his wonderful mercy.

Perhaps Lystras's Silence is simply on the same wandering path. God writes straight with crooked lines.

Lar [/quote]
Interesting...
This phorum has provided some interesting insight that I have not considered before.

If you ever have a chance to see or meet them in person, I would encourage you to talk to them personally about it. You may find a little more depth and substantial dialoge that way.

davin

Davin, I guess the actual question was whether the members of the band are still Catholic or not, or if some of them still are.

Lar -- you couldn't have said it any better. I was braught back to the Church in a similar experience, and through my good friends who were Protestants with tons of questions on my faith to which I didn't know the answers. So to make the story short, I fell even more in love with my Catholic faith because of people I noticed [Mickey, Sherry, and David actually] who were not afraid to praise God like they meant it. I'll always be praying for the group though!

Pax Christi,
Mel