An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lystra's Silence

melporcristo

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='Feb 13 2005, 02:37 PM'] Davin, I guess the actual question was whether the members of the band are still Catholic or not, or if some of them still are. [/quote]
As far as the current lineup, no. I don't know about the old bass player and drummer though.

[quote name='melporcristo' date='Feb 13 2005, 05:24 PM'] ... because of people I noticed [Mickey, Sherry, and David actually] who were not afraid to praise God like they meant it. ... [/quote]
This is one of the things that I really admire about these guys. They really love God and have such a deep awe and reverence for Him that challenges and encourages me so much.

[quote name='davin' date='Feb 13 2005, 05:55 PM'] As far as the current lineup, no. I don't know about the old bass player and drummer though. [/quote]
what happened to the bass player? He was awesome! And yeah I remember having some deep conversations w. him about the faith.

[quote name='melporcristo' date='Feb 13 2005, 07:31 PM'] what happened to the bass player? He was awesome! And yeah I remember having some deep conversations w. him about the faith. [/quote]
I think he might still be around the area, but I am not for sure about that. When Sherry, Mickie and Dave moved to Moscow, he moved on to other things.

Speaking of Lystra's Silence ...

They have a new album coming out in March. It is amazing.

Link to one of the new songs: [url="http://www.myspace.com/lystrassilence"]http://www.myspace.com/lystrassilence[/url]

• 2 years later...
Guest sonn3883

[quote name='lar' post='512648' date='Feb 3 2005, 01:43 PM']I met Lystra's Silence at NCYC in 1999 and interviewed them for my radio show. At the time it was my understanding they were all Catholic. This was with the original line up. Sometime after I got an email that they were disbanding, but the reformed in college with a few new members.

I notice that they only link to a non-denom styled youth outreach church. I wrote Dave last year about a project and inquired about whether they were a "Catholic band." This was in regards to appearing at CrossRoads a Catholic music festival [http://www.crossroadsfestival.com]. Dave wrote back and said they were " a christian band but maintained close ties to the Church." Make of that what you will.

These guys are massively talented. Whoah. Could be the new members, the move to college and the "youth outreach" did a number on them. It happens.

Lar[/quote]

Hi,
I just stumbled across this forum while looking up lyrics for the band. I've found the discussion to be very interesting. But in the end, my question is this: what does it matter if they're Catholic or Protestant??? Their Lyrics are genuinely soul-searching and are applicable to the lives of all Christians, regardless of denominational conviction. The truths spoken through their work are universal. They are just as meaningful for Protestants as they are for Catholics. As far as I know, their lyrics incite no denominational divisions. So if they speak nothing but truth and life in their songs, why not just sit back and let them bless you through their love songs to God? Yes, they may be different, and yes, they may hold to certain doctrinal principals that don't exactly line up with yours, but unless you feel they have lost their salvation and are no longer Christians by possibly becoming Protestant, what's the big deal? And if you do feel they would lose their salvation if they were to turn Protestant, my advice would be to look at their fruits: fruit like that which they exhibit does not and cannot come from unsaved souls. An unsaved fig tree can't bear God-filled grapes. So regardless of whatever denomination they have decided to follow, I think the fruit exhibited in their lives clearly points to solid, Christ-centered roots.

I lived with Sherry and her sister for a while, and they are still close friends of mine. I have prayed with them and worshiped with them. They have greatly influenced my life for the better. I have been deeply blessed by their witness. And honestly, I don't know where they stand as far as their denominational preference. And quite honestly, I don't really care, because I have seen their heart, and I know that they are on fire for God. Personally, I am Protestant, but I believe that the saved don't belong solely to the Protestant camp. Some of the most amazing people of God that I have ever met have been Protestants, while others were Catholic priests in Honduras. I disagree with some Catholic doctrines, but I also know that none of us are perfect and that God is, as one of you stated, drawing straight with our crooked lines. So as long as the lyrics of Lystra's Silence consistently proclaim the truth and are doctrinally sound (which I believe they are for both Protestants and Catholics alike), why not let God use their beautiful works to bless your life?

I understand the importance of being able to defend your faith and having a ready answer for why you believe what you believe. We all need to be able to defend our convictions. After all, if your beliefs are impossible to support or defend, why were you so convicted by them in the first place? But sometimes I believe our eagerness to defend our positions becomes such an impolitic priority that it creates unnecessary division between fellow brothers in Christ. I often find myself in disagreement on doctrinal issues with fellow Protestants, even, let alone Catholics. Not all Catholics are in complete doctrinal agreement either. Everybody is different, and nobody is perfect. God meets us where we're at and ministers to each of us according to our unique, individual needs. We'll never all be on the same page until the coming of Christ. So, having faith that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life, why can't we just agree to disagree on certain issues that don't inherently compromise salvation (such as whether or not you're Catholic or Protestant) and celebrate the common ground that we do share? If we were to do so, I think we'd find that we'd be able to bless one another more fully, lifting one another up in Christ, rather than distancing ourselves from one another and refusing the blessings we could be pouring out upon one another.

Regardless of their denominational ties, Lystra's silence is a genuine, amazing, beautiful, blessed, CHRISTIAN band. As far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters. Even if I found out every last one of them had never been anything but devout Catholics, that wouldn't change how often I'd listen to them, how often I'd worship with them, or how often I'd want to meet with them to support, encourage and minister to each other. Their works are Biblically sound and their hearts are Christ-centered. That's what's most important.