An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Thou shall be scandalized in Me"

Donna

That quote from Jesus is in my Douay translation somewhere, around the time of the Passion. Jesus also said it to John Baptizer/his disciples, through John's disciples, when John was imprisoned ("and blessed is he that is not scandalized in me" or some such).

I've often been disappointed w/ the notes in this Douay...it never seems to have enough commentary for me on those verses I want.

So...I'm not looking for the literal interpretation as regards that particular situation of Our Lord about to undergo the Passion and just how much this would scandalize the twelve.

I am looking for some way to make sense of being scourged to a point of seemingly hanging by a thread. I don't know if God's doing the scourging, I don't know if I'm just obsessed w/ my own point of view for how things should go, or whether it's other options or all of the above.

I understand about pruning the vine, about patiently bearing wrongs, about the Lord chastizing His sons (else they be bastards, not heirs)...but I cannot now bear sound bites (no offense). Instead I hope to hear from those who HAVE been scandalized in him, from those whose trust [i]has[/i] been shaken...

From those who relate when Theresa of Avila complained to Jesus about the shoddy treatment given His friends.

What helped or is helping you through this? (The more specific about what helped, the better).

Edited by Donna

Mrs. Bro. Adam

God has promised us that, if we follow Him, we will be persecuted.

"Happy are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake".

Remember Job. He was wholy devoted to God, and God allowed Satan to temp him, and give him boils and lose his family.

We can't always know God's plan, but we can know, that if we are following Him, that whatever persecution comes our way, we can be happy, because we are in the processing of 'working out our salvation.'

Job... that was a meek and goodly soul. Afflicted by God, but maybe not scandalized "in him". How one acheives this I do not know.

"St. Job, pray for us."

Thanks, T.