An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Lent...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I haven't quite decided what I shall do for Lent this year. I would like to do something that would prepare me for the convent/monastery. The only think I can think of as of now is fasting (Bread and water only) one day a week. Any other ideas? Ash Wednesday is coming soon! Thanks! God Bless and Mary Protect!
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts,
Angela

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

That is a really good idea! Hmmm... I don't know if I could make it though. I'd have to check my e-mail and stuff for classes and such.

You could set a manditory period of silent time, where you don't talk, or listen to music, etc. You could also up the number of hours in chapel, if possible. You could also read a book of the bible you don't normally pay attention to. If you are a stud, you could do the whole thing, but that would be a doozy, I think. Just some thoughts.

schedule out your life.....

devote certain times to study, eat, spiritual reading, prayer....and keep to it....the discipline of a schedule is hard

I was thinking of giving up coke, but now I'm not so sure. *twitch* I think if someone walked up to me and had a coke in their hand, I kill them and take the coke. @.@;;

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Feb 7 2005, 06:18 PM'] schedule out your life.....

devote certain times to study, eat, spiritual reading, prayer....and keep to it....the discipline of a schedule is hard [/quote]
:o That idea ROCKS! Wow... You are so right about keeping a schedule too...

I think that is the best idea yet! Thanks!

A good way to look at it is looking at what really affects your life right now and what should affect you more.

Try to avoid giving up a sin though. Giving up certain sinful/unhealthy addictions (sexual sins, drinking, swearing) can cause folks to have a sinful hayday when Lent is over. Abstinence from those chains should take place regardless of the prescence of a seasonal occasion.

Contemplate the things you love (truely love; not "pizza love") and see what hardship will cause you to love them more. It could even mean giving up the Eucharist for Lent. As long as it leads to a wider appreciation of it, that sort of fasting can be extremely beneficial. Often, the things that affect us the most can be the best things to give up. Each person is different though so its difficult for anyone to recommend what should be given up. It calls for an internal, spiritual examination to occur to see what is needed most.

el paz,

-Joe

For lent u should join AMS Publications.

email us to subscribe: avemarisstella@gmail.com

website: [url="http://www.avemarisstella.us.tt"]http://www.avemarisstella.us.tt[/url]

Blog: [url="http://avemarisstella.blogspot.com"]http://avemarisstella.blogspot.com[/url]

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Philippe' date='Feb 6 2005, 04:30 PM'] give up the internet. i did that last year and it was great [/quote]
Great Idea. Im gonna do that this year :D

maybe go to daily Mass? My classes start at 8 and thats the time that my regular parish daily Mass is at but, there is another parish slightly farther that has Mass at 6:30 so im gonna be trying to do that. Pray that i dont faint of exhausting. You should try and find a daily Mass that works for you though. Lasy year i did internet and daily Mass and it was the best few weeks of my life.