An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ash Wednesday

rufiokicks

Should students be allowed to receive the ashes on a high school campus?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At school on Wednesday we wanted to have a private service on campus before school to distribute ashes. The administration wouldn't let us. Do you think this is fair or unfair? Are you allowed to at your school?

What they did was permissible only so long as they did not discriminate. They do not have to make special exceptions for religious groups, but cannot make any different rules for religious groups than for any other group on campus.

save ferris 101

[quote name='Luthien' date='Feb 13 2005, 10:48 PM'] But its okay to have condoms handed out...?

:huh: [/quote]
Condoms aren't a religion, nor do they pertain to any.

Well, I figured it was district thing, but every other school in our district had a service. They're reasoning was something about religion at school, but we have FCA (Future Christian Athletes) that meets every Friday to have praise and worship and prayer. It's kind of hypocritical.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='save ferris 101' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:05 AM'] Condoms aren't a religion, nor do they pertain to any. [/quote]
Yes they do...Catholicism is 100% opposed to contraception.

Here's a for instance.

If the school lets the Muslim Action Group meet on campus after school in one of the classrooms, they have to let any other Christian or religious group meet. They cannot discriminate. If they refuse to let the Christian Group meet, then they have to refuse to let any religious group meet.

We had a Bible study after school once a week at our public high school. The only other group was a "free thinkers" group in response to our group. They had one member that met for two weeks lol.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Feb 14 2005, 02:41 PM'] You're missing out!

Actually there are beautiful parts of both east and west Churches that we eat miss out on. [/quote]
Nah, I'm not missing out, because I was in the Roman Rite for almost 17 years. I chose to change rites. :D

You can do that??? ok.......

The school could only prevent you from holding the service on the district property. I would go right across the street and do it. :) As long as they let no one meet though for a religious purpose it is not against the law. (i think it should be, but i haven't written any laws yet.)

Apotheun, expand on the view of lent of the Eastern Church to me, and the rest of the Phatmassers. I relaize as an EAstern Catholic we don't celebrate Ash Wednesday, but are there any reasons? I also was curious to if we have to hold the same Lenten regulations as I have always picked more strenuous regulats for my fasting, but that didn't follow in the Church's declration of one main meal and two smaller meals. Due to the Lenten dietary changes I chose, it'd be hardly plausible to do follow in the dictates of The Church's mandate on how to fast for Lent. So I was wondering, as Eastern Rite Catholics, are we mandated to follow the decree on how to fast?

God bless,
Mikey