An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cool Books to Read

jgirl

Somebody suggested we should start a list of good books to suggest to one anothe.

One of the books that helped me out in my discernment was, "Letters to a Young Catholic" by George Weigel. The chapter that hit me was the one about Mary. I think everybody wondering about whether they should wait to pursue a vocation needs to read that chapter.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
:) One book that really strenthed my Vocational calling and made me sure that this is where God is calling me was the diary of St. Faustina! :hearts: I love it! I really want to read it again! I've been trying to read more diaries and great spiritual works too! I find them full of knowledge and the truth we desire :)

I know Totus Tuus has quite a list I am sure :)

Story of a Soul by Saint Therese of Lisieux really helped me. I think I've read it about three times now.

For a bit of history on religious life, I recommed The Habit by Elizabeth Kuhns. Very interesting!

The Meaning of Vocation by Pope John Paul II. Very beautiful!

When God Asks For An Undivided Heart: Choosing Celibacy in Love and Freedom by Fr. Andrew Apostoli, CFR. Recommended by my spiritual director.

ligh_at_Knight

another good book is Gift and Mystery by Pope John Paul II.
St. John Chrysosthm ( cant actually remember how to spell that... actually for get how to pronounce it half the time) anyway.. he has a book called " 5 books on the priesthood . . . I have not read it but want to.. not that long of a read..

[b]A Right to Be Merry[/b] by Mother Mary Francis
[b]A Seal Upon My Heart[/b] Autobiography of Twenty Sisters
[b]The Story of a Soul[/b] Autobiography of St. Therese
[b]Autobiography of Saint Margaret Mary[/b]
[b]The Privilege of Being a Woman[/b] by Dr. Alice Von Hildebrand
...[b]The Holy Bible[/b] -- "[i]Come, Follow Me[/i]"

Edited by Totus Tuus

i second that Story of a Soul vote!!! hehe. anything by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity is good too! she has amazing insights into the contemplative life which we are all called to ...whether we will be "active" or "contemplative"...we need to have that interior life. like mother teresa says, "a contemplative in the heart of the world" :)

[url="http://www.visionguide.org/index.cfm?op=general&action=view&CFTOKEN=55488850&CFID=2052563&sid=18&gid=87"]http://www.visionguide.org/index.cfm?op=ge...3&sid=18&gid=87[/url]

I have another to add. I haven't read it myself, but I heard Father interviewed on EWTN radio today about the book:

[b]Authenticity: A Biblical Theology of Discernment[/b] by Fr. Thomas Dubay.

It sounds great, because he was talking about how young people innately want the Truth; though they're not always sure, why, they crave authenticity in seeking a Religios Order and discerning their vocations.

God bless :)

ThyWillBeDone

A Priest Forever by Father Benedict J. Groeschel
The story of a dying seminarian who wants to be live longer enough to be ordained, great book but very sad at points
God Bless

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:38 PM'] [b]Autobiography of Saint Margaret Mary[/b]
[/quote]
:o She has an autobiography? I want to read that!

[quote]She has an autobiography? I want to read that! [/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that either. I've never seen it in a bookstore. Anyone know where I could buy it?

Yes, her autobiography is incredible and it really helped me, too.
If you go to the EWTN.com catolog, you'll find a Margaret Mary Set, which includes "Thoughts and Sayings of Saint Margaret Mary" & her autobiography- both great to have.
You can get her autobiography at any online seller I'd think, and at just about any Catholic bookstore. I don't know where we got ours, it was about twenty years (or maybe more like ten... ) old when I read it. It's published by TAN.

Edited by Totus Tuus