An Old School Catholic Message Board

Small group studies?

Honour

In my Protestant world there are all kinds of small group type of Bible studies, There is sunday school before church, wednesday night group things, and lots of churchs are forming small groups that meet in peoples homes once a week, for Bible study and fellowship, support ect, and pretty much the entire service, minus the worship, is a Bible study.
Do such things exist for Catholics, I mean I hear everyone talking about how great RCIA is and everything, but I don't want to convert I just want to learn, and not trying to offend, but as a Protestant ,Mass although beautiful, is hard to keep up with, doesn't fill my need for knowledge and kinda inpersonal. (impersonal)?
Just Wondering

There are such groups - pretty much on a parish by parish basis. You would have to ask at your local Catholic parishes. Our parish has a Thursday afternoon and Sunday after Mass bible study. If you're looking for the "Catholic" interpretation of Scripture, you might want to find one led by a priest or deacon, or at least someone with a theology degree. At times, I liken our parish study group to "the blind leading the blind" since we seldom get past the "personal" interpretation.

RCIA has an "investigative" component, as well as a conversion component. These programs vary from parish to parish, and may not fit what you are looking for. Again, you would need to ask.

While discussion has subsided a bit, Phatmass has a bible study going on in the Word.Werd group.

theculturewarrior

I use to attend such a group. :) There came a point when as a convert, I prayed for fellowship. God answered! But now I'm trying to engage the world so to speak. Although it would seem instead it is engaging me. -_-

I'm in a small group study. My husband and I meet with two other couples before Mass to discuss the Gospel reading.

There's also a study group that meets on Thursday nights. They study encyclicals, Bible passages, etc.

I don't know how old you are, but I know there are a lot of groups like that at Newman Centers/Catholic Centers/other foci of Catholic worship at colleges. I pretend like I'm still in college (not really a stretch) and hang out at a local university's Catholic Center... They've got a theology of the body discussion group, a book club that reads stuffs, etc.

Too bad there are no colleges around here!
Thanks for the info and encouragement, I guess more than anything I am looking for a way to get "pluggged in" to a parish, while learning more. I've heard from other people too that sometimes you can be in RCIA even if you aren't sure you want to convert, if your still searching...maybe I should just ask.
Its just I've never had problems like this before, I'm so used to the way it works in the protestant churches, where you can show up for Sunday School and be immediately introduced to 10-15 peeps in your age/interest group and get all your questions answered right there on the spot, like "oh by the way I am looking really hard into Catholicism, and want to learn more, is RCIA right for me, is there someone I can talk to in order to find out?"
I've never been so nervous at a religous service before. Is that odd?

Isaiah41:13

As someone said earlier, check around with your local Parishes. St. Charles (my home Parish) has a lot of small group bible studies and a few larger ones that meet throughout the year. I attened one last summer and it was a good way for me to meet people even though I have been attending St. Charles for 5 years. You could call the Parish offices, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

drop by (call on the phone?) during the day (when the office is open) - say just what you've said here, either to a priest, a director of religious ed, a deacon, or a pastoral coordinator (sort of depends on where you are who you might run into) . . . and they should set you up . . . since three out of the four may be volunteers, tell whoever is running the office what you're interested in and ask if one of those folks could give you a call to discuss what might be available

jessinoelw - I like the sound of your Thursday night group - is there a formal program, or is it whatever interests the group that week, or keyed to the readings? How does it work?

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='Honour' date='Mar 7 2005, 05:38 PM'] Its just I've never had problems like this before, I'm so used to the way it works in the protestant churches, where you can show up for Sunday School and be immediately introduced to 10-15 peeps in your age/interest group and get all your questions answered right there on the spot, like "oh by the way I am looking really hard into Catholicism, and want to learn more, is RCIA right for me, is there someone I can talk to in order to find out?"

I've never been so nervous at a religous service before. Is that odd? [/quote]
Hi Honour! I don't know if I've responded to any of your posts, and I'm on phatmass infrequently. I've been praying for you, though.

Last year I was "Protestant and curious", and I'm going to be received into the Church at Easter, so I can definitely empathize with your questions, etc.

"Exploring" in RCIA can be really great--my priest has run our RCIA program, and he's a really good teacher. Whether intending to convert or not, I think everyone has learned a ton. Not every RCIA program is awesome, but most of them (from what I understand) are pretty educational.

I've also heard good things about a program called "Theology on Tap", which you might want to explore. It's for young people, and sounds like it might be helpful.

You might see if your diocese has a website--my diocesan website is where I found my church--I looked at a map for the closest one, and that was it.

I don't think it's AT ALL odd that you are nervous in Mass! The first time I walked in *alone*, I felt sure everyone was staring at me, as if I had "Protestant" written on my forehead in big red letters. :rolling:

But I realized it wasn't true. I just followed along with everyone, and did okay. Eventually I got used to it. I also did some reading to learn about the different parts of the mass, and what they meant, and that REALLY helped.

Question--is your avatar Honour Harrington? My brother really likes those books; I've never read them. :lol:

MG

Wow, theres and idea...office hours...never really thought about it. See this is why I come here! Thanks for a good dose of common sense.
How do I find out what dioceses I'm in, and if they have a website? Pray for me as I will try to force myself to actually talk to someone at the parish this week...I feel like I'm getting a little too comfortable just talking to people online and reading a few books.
And yes MG, thats Honor Harrington, the greastest sci-fi character ever penned. Ok so I really liked the books, I'm not a nerd...I promise. I just love that name. :)

[quote]How do I find out what dioceses I'm in, and if they have a website? [/quote]
The US Council of Catholic Bishops have a website with a state-by-state diocese locater [url="http://www.usccb.org/state.htm"]here.[/url] :cool:

There's also the [url="http://www.masstimes.org/dotNet/"]MassTimes.org website.[/url] It's meant for travelling Catholics to find a parish while they're on the road, but it'll help you find a nearby parish too. :thumb:

Thanks for the websites Dennis, I found the website for the parish that is behind our house, pretty cool. Its seems its the obly one in the city, but the next town over has several. But its really cool b/c it has more times than the yellow page ads. :)
And a calender of some of the events and stuff

theculturewarrior

I was nervous when I attended my first Protestant service. I was actually recommended to go to one by an orthodox priest, because I was dating a non-Catholic. I think it's natural to be nervous when we go out of our comfort zones.

I overcame my nervousness by saying Hail Mary's throughout the service. (Quietly, to myself of course!)

Maybe if you pray in the manner most comfortable and familiar to you, the Mass will seem less intimidating.

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='Honour' date='Mar 8 2005, 11:04 PM'] Pray for me as I will try to force myself to actually talk to someone at the parish this week...I feel like I'm getting a little too comfortable just talking to people online and reading a few books.

And yes MG, thats Honor Harrington, the greastest sci-fi character ever penned. Ok so I really liked the books, I'm not a nerd...I promise. I just love that name. :) [/quote]
I am praying for you right now! This very second! (10am Saturday morning).

You can do this. Please let us know how it goes--I remember the day I called to make an appointment to talk with the priest (after I'd gone to mass 3 weeks in a row). My heart was POUNDING. And then when I actually went over to the rectory?!?!?! I was like, "I have to get a grip."

I was nervous for about 10 minutes, and then I ended up relaxing. We probably talked for an hour (not that you will; but both my priest and I are talkers). My priest can be a little intimidating till you figure out what he's like. :ph34r:

Now he teases me all the time; I tease back so it works out just fine.

[Hey, don't worry about being a nerd (re: Honour). Some of the nicest people in the world are geeks and nerds. :P I have never cared for sci-fi/fantasy, but my brother loves it, and I have picked up a lot of info from him. (We even have a few episodes of Dr. Who that we watch together--we have fun with it.)

I mean, I was the one who RECOGNIZED THE COVER ART!!!! Without even having read them! Now, THAT'S a nerd! LOL!]

[quote]I overcame my nervousness by saying Hail Mary's throughout the service. (Quietly, to myself of course!)[/quote]

You had me ROLLING, TCW!!! Good thing you were praying silently. Heh heh. But you know what? I've done EXACTLY THAT when I've been placed in "Protestant" situations that made me uncomfortable. (I'm so Catholic now. All my friends laugh.)

Okay, I've written enough for one day.

MG

Ug....I hate my comp....I just made this big long post about how great all yall are for your prayers and your encouragement, and puff...its gone. :(
Well I quess you didn't want to read all that extra stuff anyway. I said that I still haven't dropped by the church, but I am going to mass on sunday if it kills me. And due to all of you people on phatmass that have helped me with my search, I was reading my CCC about Christian Prayer, and was very happy to be learning.
Oh yeah....and you guys rock! :tiphat: