Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

When is lust a mortal sin?


Recommended Posts

Guest JeffCR07
Posted

I was wondering if anyone could help me in determining when a sin of lust is venial or mortal. I'm afraid I might be tending towards scrupulosity with lust, but I want to make sure.

I know all of the factors which go into making something a mortal sin, but I am having trouble determining "grave matter." Do impure conversations constitute mortal sin? And what of thoughts? I understand that pronography of course does, but I am having trouble determining "grave matter" when there is nothing physically present (ie, another person, illicit pictures, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Your Brother In Christ, Jeff

Posted

JMJ
3/7 - Sts. Felicitas and Perpetua

JeffCR07,

Usually, the barometer I've been given for "grave matter" is that something must be a willed act. In the case of lust, there must be lustful [i]acts[/i], as opposed to lustful [i]occurances[/i]. For instance, a lustful thought that runs through my head as I pass through the quad here on campus doesn't constitute grave matter - should I begin to gawk, I am actively willing to commit a lustful act. If I conjure up thoughts for the purpose of arousal, that would constitute grave matter. Notice that these involve [i]active willing[/i]. Impure conversation is a touchy area, but it's usually best to just avoid that area altogether; there's always a funny way to redirect the conversation. Hope this helps.

Yours,
Pio Nono

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...