An Old School Catholic Message Board

contraception

myduwigd

What do you think about contraception and why?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Contraception is such a heated topic. Ive talked it over with my Protestant friends and some Catholics and could never really agree on anything. Scott Hahn said in his book "Rome Sweet Home" that he wouldnt use it because it defied God by taking the matter into one's own hands.

both 1 and 3 are okay, but Natural Family Planning by definition is NOT contraception. contraception is anything that prevents conception within the sexual act. NFP is just a married couple planning out when to have sex (well, that's very simplified. i'm no expert. lol). Anyway, basially, NFP is not contracpetion. NFP if done with malicious intent could create a contraceptive marriage (whcih would be wrong) but other than that it is not contraceptive.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 21 2005, 03:11 PM'] both 1 and 3 are okay, but Natural Family Planning by definition is NOT contraception. contraception is anything that prevents conception within the sexual act. NFP is just a married couple planning out when to have sex (well, that's very simplified. i'm no expert. lol). Anyway, basially, NFP is not contracpetion. NFP if done with malicious intent could create a contraceptive marriage (whcih would be wrong) but other than that it is not contraceptive. [/quote]
I agree, both 1 and 3; and yes, NFP properly used is not a form of contraception.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Mar 21 2005, 06:00 PM'] I agree, both 1 and 3; and yes, NFP properly used is not a form of contraception. [/quote]
How would you use NFP to a degree when it becomes contraceptive marriage? Would you have to be open to kids if you do it?

I remember seeing a book about the conversion of a Protestant couple who were brought to the Catholic Church by her stance on contraception.... anyone know of this book? I'm not sure but I think it was published by Ignatius Press.

While this is obvioulsy not a popular teaching, the Catholic Church firmly teaches that contraception of any kind is mortally sinful. NFP is not contraception and the Church has approved it as morally licit.

Ash Wednesday

I've read that NFP, while it is very effective and people worry that it is "Catholic Birth Control", tends to actually foster generosity with regards to having kids. That's what the EWTN experts say anyway. I am not going to be married for a couple more years or so but that reminds me I probably should start thinking about learning it soon...

when used without legitimate reasons it turns a marriage into a contraceptive marriage. when there are legitimate reasons involved and NFP to avoid kids was not the first option (we should all rather hope that we would be well enough off to be able to receive as many children as possible).

a Catholic couple gets married, and they know they will be unable to afford to have a lot of kids. NFP in this case is not going to lend itself towards a contraceptive marriage.

a Catholic couple gets married, and they want
-to have at least one boy and one girl in their family and then they'll stop having kids through NFP.
or
- to spend some years together alone first without children so you can bond (not because of need, they just want to) [FYI, if you want to do THIS idea, just make an extended engagement because as soon as you start with the sex you better have already bonded enough to be close]

These such things lend themselves towards a contraceptive marriage taking control over how many kids God is going to give you. By using NFP you are still not participating in contracptive sex, but the marriage as a whole as become somewhat contraceptive (the MARRIAGE is opposed to conception)

Legitimate reasons to make you resort to NFP (always IF possible it would be preferable not to have to worry yourself with such things but let God decide how many kids you get) would be financial, medical, umm... I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting... but there has to be some sort of reason you resorted to NFP

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 22 2005, 12:12 AM'] [FYI, if you want to do THIS idea, just make an extended engagement because as soon as you start with the sex you better have already bonded enough to be close] [/quote]
Al! You Rock! :)

Melchisedec

Contraceptives are a very good thing. Sex for pleasure is not wrong at all. If you want to make love with your significant other and still not want to have to worry about getting pregnant than its the way to go.

what is the purpose of sex?

......pro creation and unity of the spouses

contraception gets rid of both

so really it gets rid of the entire purpose to have sex

Melchisedec

[quote name='aloha918' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:14 AM'] what is the purpose of sex?

......pro creation and unity of the spouses

contraception gets rid of both

so really it gets rid of the entire purpose to have sex [/quote]
The purpose of eating is to sustain the body. Yet we like to eat foods that taste good and please our taste bud. We derive pleasure from eating. Ssomething that is meant for the simple purpose of sustaining the body. We dont need to be satisfied with the taste of a food to have it sustain our body. Sex is no different. It is meant to create humans, yet much pleasure can be derived from it. Its alot like desert. I prolly wont get much nutritional value from eating a desert, I mainly eat desert for the pleasing taste. Sex for pleasure is not wrong and its actually very wonderful. Maybe contraceptives prevents you from unifying with your loved one, but not for me and many millions of people around the world.

Personal opinion:

"Worried about getting pregnant."

Man what a statement that we view some life as a burden and troublesome...

Melchisedec

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:27 AM'] Personal opinion:

"Worried about getting pregnant."

Man what a statement that we view some life as a burden and troublesome... [/quote]
Well I dont know what your financial situation is. But some people have enough money just to support each other, much less a child. I dont want to bring a baby into this world unless I know I can care for it financially . Yet, I dont see why in the meantime I cannot have sex with my wife.

That is very responsible and commendable, but if it alters your view of the creation of life I think it has gone too far. Simply because there is a way to remove a "consequence" from having sex, does not mean that people should have free reign. When the world starts removing effects from their causes it turns things upside down. Like I said, personal opinion.