An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Thursday Mass, women had their feet washed

Paladin D

Today at mass, some women had their feet washed. I thought only men can have their feet washed, considering it's symbolic to the apostles having their feet washed by Christ? Unless of course, our Bishop has permitted us to do so.

[url="http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=68074"]http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=68074[/url] .

I think the bigger issue here is the incredible arrogance of feminist women demanding such things as this and being offended when they don't get it. where has humility gone? :(

Guest Eremite

Liturgical law does specify MALES (not just the generic "men"). However, Archbishop O'Malley said he consulted the Holy See, and while they upheld the Liturgical law, told him that he could concede washing women's feet. (I have no reason to doubt my Archbishop; he's an honest man). I read the suggestion on a blog that this isn't an attack on Liturgical law, but more of a way of telling O'Malley he has bigger problems to worry about than feminists with stinky feet.

since when do we as Catholics pick our battles and only demand on the small things? Modernist feminism IS a big problem, and just because there are bigger problems doesn't mean we shouldn't take it on.

Guest Eremite

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 24 2005, 06:36 PM'] since when do we as Catholics pick our battles and only demand on the small things?  Modernist feminism IS a big problem, and just because there are bigger problems doesn't mean we shouldn't take it on. [/quote]
There is nothing INTRINSICALLY wrong with washing women's feet. There is no problem ceding lesser things that are not intrinsically wrong in order to fry bigger fish. Moses, for example, granted divorce for hardness of heart. It was not the ideal, but it was a lesser concession for a greater purpose. In the same way, Archbishop O'Malley already has huge problems reforming the Boston Archdiocese, ground zero of the sexual abuse crisis. The last thing he needs is petty Liturgical wars. He has, however, been an outspoken opponent of radical feminist ideology.

I'm not saying I agree with washing women's feet. Just granting that I understand why he has chosen to do so.

Edited by Eremite

someone told me its allowed in America (the bishops asked) because here, the empahsis is much more heavily placed on the SERVICE element instead of the priesthood element.

this is someone who's parish is having the EMofHCs DOING the feet washing (grr sigh grr again. los angeles! <_< ) which i'm sure is WAY worse than washing women's feet.

of course, since we are a UNIVERSAL church, i thought things were supposed to have the SAME meaning but what do i know? :P

follow Mary's example people!

CarpeDiem88

Dougherty, you better hope that some female at St. Ferd's doesn't read this. By the way, it's Andy. lol.

IN any case, why forbid women? I understand the symbolism of the Apostles, but why exclude women at this point? We're in the 21st century and it looks to me like the Church is stepping up to the times. I don't see the point in forbidding it at this point because all it will do is fire-up tensions.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 25 2005, 10:36 AM'] since when do we as Catholics pick our battles and only demand on the small things? Modernist feminism IS a big problem, and just because there are bigger problems doesn't mean we shouldn't take it on. [/quote]
They are fruitless and stale - they produce little if not no offspring - they will die out in a few generations.

[quote name='CarpeDiem88' date='Mar 25 2005, 03:16 PM'] Dougherty, you better hope that some female at St. Ferd's doesn't read this. By the way, it's Andy. lol.

IN any case, why forbid women? I understand the symbolism of the Apostles, but why exclude women at this point? We're in the 21st century and it looks to me like the Church is stepping up to the times. I don't see the point in forbidding it at this point because all it will do is fire-up tensions. [/quote]
I thought the washing of the feet had something to do with the priesthood. What is the symbolism behind Christ's actions.

Ash Wednesday

I'm trying to remember if I got my foot washed once, because I may have a long time ago..... :unsure: Of course this wasn't something that I asked for, as a woman. I think they approached me because they needed an extra foot or two at the last minute...

I already mentioned this in open mic, but my boyfriend got his feet washed today. He joked about wanting to paint his toenails pink to surprise the priest (who is a friend) -- I told him that wouldn't be a good idea :haha:

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:40 PM'] I think the bigger issue here is the incredible arrogance of feminist women demanding such things as this and being offended when they don't get it. where has humility gone? :( [/quote]
it has gone to equality.....we are to wash everyones feet.....are women excluded, even if it is symbolic.........women are discilpes too ya know......

should we have to priest grow a beard and make him look like christ?......

burnsspivey

[quote name='yiannii' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:19 AM'] They are fruitless and stale - they produce little if not no offspring - they will die out in a few generations. [/quote]
Ha! :rolling:

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 24 2005, 07:41 PM'] Just curious as to where this is mentioned in liturgical law. [/quote]
Still wondering...