Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

If This Ain't Scary Then I Don't Know What Is


Recommended Posts

Kilroy the Ninja
Posted

We got a lot of rain and a lot of wind, and some of the private piers along the water (in Kemah, Seabrook, Galveston and Clear Lake - that's where NASA is) were lost, but pretty much that's about it.

Claudette did more damage in Port O'Connor where it actually "hit".

Be sure to include those residents in ya'lls prayers...

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

Ironmonk,

a few years ago when we were trying to sell our house, my mom planted a statue of a saint upside down right underneath the 'for sale' sign. I don't remember the saint, but it may have been Joseph. She did this for good luck. I always thought that was weird, even when I was Catholic, and I was really hoping that this stuff wasn't truely a part of Catholocism. Your rebuke settled some of my fears.

But where does this stuff come from? I know my mom heard it from somebody, I don't know who or how, and I don't know how much she actually believed it would work, but it was scary nonetheless.

has anyone ever heard of these? i have....weanted to bump and ask..

Posted

In response to JMJ's question: No. Not for a Catholic to do something like that. I've heard of non-Catholics thinking rosaries are magical.

Posted

In response to the ritual I prescribed:

It was taken from a book published in the US called: Heaven Help Us: A Worrier's guide to Patron Saints.

THe ritual isnt supposed to do anything really. Its not magical. One just does it to psyco's oneself to belive that everything is gonna be ok. Its like prozac sans the harmful chemicals.

I also belive that if you would take time out of your busy hectic schedule (which unfortunately I am prone to due to the fact I live Singapore) and do these little things it shows that you really would like the intercession of the saints for help.

Its just like getting your throat blessed during the feast day of St Blaise. The priest puts two sticks of beeswax candles in a cross around your throat and says the blessing. You dont really NEED to get them blessed to ensure you're free from throat ailments during the year but you go to show your sincerity.

I'm sorry if I freaked anyone out with the prescribed rituals. I didnt mean to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...