An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Universal Church

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

I emailed Touchstone Magazine, and their editor, David Mills, responded. I won't post all of his email here, but I know David Mills is a Catholic and is exposed to a wide variety of ideas, because he is the editor of an ecumenical magazine, and also has a doctorate in Theology and was a theology professor.

He said that Evangelicals view themselves as the historic mainstream of Christianity, and that there history was a struggle to retain the Christian tradition and to keep it from the additions of Catholics and Orthodox. He said it is a "principled and plausible" position.

I'm not sure how much I would agree. Principled, no doubt. Perhaps it is plausible, but he said so little. I would need more to go by. :)

• 1 year later...

The normal argument is that the true church does not have to be visible also it does not have to have the stricter form of unity that we would find in the Catholic Church. With this concept Christianity could disappear completely but for in the minds of historians for hundreds of years and reappear without missing a beat to their theology. Because of this, they can propose to “restore” true belief at any time they please and do not have to be too concerned about doctrinal differences.

This of course is in complete ignoring of the Sacred Scriptures and the Early Church Fathers.

Well, I sent your initail post to a couple ministers I know and so far just blow offs. I know if it was me, I would likely have done the same.

"rational" is subjective to experience. Protestant churches are often focused on communial situations rather than doctrine or even theology. I know every year when we teach intro to XPn Doctrine we need to convince the pastoral majors of the need to even study doctrine or theology. Considering those are the cream of the crop in the proto world the situation to argue patristics or history is in vain.