An Old School Catholic Message Board

One small step...

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

Liberty Legal Institute Hails Texas' Victory Over Planned Parenthood

By Allie Martin
March 31, 2005

(AgapePress) - The attorney general of Texas is being commended by a Christian attorney for persevering in a lengthy battle with Planned Parenthood. Earlier this month a federal appeals court overturned a lower federal court's August 2003 injunction, which had allowed the abortion provider to receive public funding.

Two years ago, lawmakers in Texas passed legislation banning the use of any federal or state taxpayer funds for elective abortion providers. Planned Parenthood organizations in Houston, San Antonio, the Capitol region, and North, West, Central, and South Central Texas sued, demanding $13 million -- or else they would have to stop performing elective abortion services. As a result of the lawsuit, the abortion providers were able to secure a favorable injunction in the case.

Kelly Shackelford is president of Liberty Legal Institute, the Plano-based legal group that filed a brief in July 2003 supporting the State of Texas in the matter. He and his organization are excited about the appellate victory, he says, adding, "It's outrageous that Planned Parenthood thought it could force the taxpayers of Texas to pass laws giving them money."

In such cases, Shackelford says it makes a big difference who holds the top law enforcement post in a state. "In Texas we have an attorney general who actually fought for the people on this," he observes. "I know in some states you might have an attorney general who's pro-choice, and the result might be that they might not fight for the people who don't want their tax money used [to fund abortions]."

The Liberty Legal Institute president says support from the Office of the Texas Attorney General was a key factor in the state's victory over Planned Parenthood in this court battle. "It really does matter what type of people are representing your state," he notes, "and I'm thankful that, in Texas, Attorney General Greg Abbott fought this thing and ended up winning."

Shackelford estimates the appeals court ruling means Planned Parenthood will face of shortfall of eight to ten million dollars this year. It is a satisfying outcome to the attorney, who contends that the abortion mill has no right to force Texas taxpayers to support efforts to kill unborn children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMJ
3/31 - Easter Thursday

Oh, I'm [b][i]definitely[/i][/b] going to have a second manhattan to celebrate this!!!

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:29 PM'] JMJ
3/31 - Easter Thursday

Oh, I'm [b][i]definitely[/i][/b] going to have a second manhattan to celebrate this!!! [/quote]
:haha:

sweetness!! now if only CA could do something similiar.... since my state tax dollars go to abortion clinics!!! :club: :irate:

God Conquers

God I pray that someday my nation will do something similar....

At this point it seems it won't be for 1000 years...