An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shroud Of Turin

theculturewarrior

crusader1234

I saw a special on PBS which was quite interesting.

In regards to the carbon dating, the sample taken was from a corner where the shroud was held when on display. This means that oil, skin, and other residues were likely tested as opposed to the actual cloth.

A historical textile expert believes that, due to the type of fabric and the type of stitching used (which has only been found back around the time of Jesus) the shroud was probably from the right time frame.

Also, there are murals which depict Jesus burial that predate the supposed date the shroud was created. The shroud he was buried in, according to the murals, had specific markings which are also on the shroud.

So, whatever. Everyone disagrees. My faith doesn't hinge on a piece of cloth, even if I do believe it is the real deal.

Melchisedec

[quote name='Socrates' date='Mar 31 2005, 09:32 PM'] Much of this would be impossible for even a modern anatomical expert to fake, much less a medieval forger. [/quote]
While it is very intriguing, I wouldnt go so far as to say its impossible. Monuments like the pyramids serve to show us that we can accomplish things some deem impossible.

crusader1234

Recently, a guy figured out a plausible explanation. He painted an image similar to that on the shroud onto a pane of glass, and put it over some brown fabric. He left the fabric in the sun, and waited a few days. After a few days, the fabric became bleached. The image was very similar to that on the shroud, and passed the 3D image test as well. With todays knowledge, the question isn't so much how as it is when.

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Mar 31 2005, 10:14 PM'] So, whatever. Everyone disagrees. My faith doesn't hinge on a piece of cloth, even if I do believe it is the real deal. [/quote]
Perfect answer (because that's my answer too!) :rolling:

I think it's the real deal, but I'm open to having it proven wrong. Othe explanations are just not plausible. For example, if it is a work of art, why is it the only example of a stunning technique? If Kings and wealthy people knew that it could be duplicated, why was it never done (even rarely) of people who died so they could be remembered? We take photography so for granted now-a-days, that we forget, they only had painted portraits. If this could be done, don't you think it would be done, at least often enough to be mentioned?

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Mar 31 2005, 10:26 PM'] While it is very intriguing, I wouldnt go so far as to say its impossible. Monuments like the pyramids serve to show us that we can accomplish things some deem impossible. [/quote]
The Wonders of the World were all products of their civilization and the technology known to them.

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Mar 31 2005, 10:31 PM'] Recently, a guy figured out a plausible explanation. He painted an image similar to that on the shroud onto a pane of glass, and put it over some brown fabric. He left the fabric in the sun, and waited a few days. After a few days, the fabric became bleached. The image was very similar to that on the shroud, and passed the 3D image test as well. With todays knowledge, the question isn't so much how as it is when. [/quote]
The problem is, the image on the shroud is nothing like a painting.

One of the plants whose pollen was found heavily around the head area of the shroud belongs to a native plant in Jerusalem that has thorns on it!

Also the blood type found on the shroud is AB...this is also the blood type in the Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano. I do not think it is a mere coincidence. Only 3.6% of the population have this blood type, and it is the only blood type that can recieve all other blood types!!! Jesus recieves ALL!!!

sweetpea316

[QUOTE]So, whatever. Everyone disagrees. My faith doesn't hinge on a piece of cloth, even if I do believe it is the real deal. [/QUOTE]
True that! ^_^ I'd never even heard of the Shroud of Turin until a few months ago actually... but from what I heard then and now, I have no reason to doubt that it is real also.

[/QUOTE]Jesus recieves ALL!!! [QUOTE]
:D Indeed He does! God bless.

crusader1234

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 1 2005, 01:11 PM'] The problem is, the image on the shroud is nothing like a painting. [/quote]
Neither was the result of this guy's explanation. He painted onto the glass to make a shadow. Shadows don't make brushtstrokes.

The Shroud is awesome, I love this discussion. I'm learning a lot.

However, does anyone know anything about St. Juan Diego's tilpa (sp?) from Our Lady of Guadalupe? I know it's supported by the Church, and I know about the people in her eyes, but anything else?

theculturewarrior

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Mar 31 2005, 10:31 PM'] Recently, a guy figured out a plausible explanation. He painted an image similar to that on the shroud onto a pane of glass, and put it over some brown fabric. He left the fabric in the sun, and waited a few days. After a few days, the fabric became bleached. The image was very similar to that on the shroud, and passed the 3D image test as well. With todays knowledge, the question isn't so much how as it is when. [/quote]
Even so, [url="http://www.shroud.com/heraseng.pdf"]http://www.shroud.com/heraseng.pdf[/url]

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Apr 1 2005, 06:10 PM'] Neither was the result of this guy's explanation. He painted onto the glass to make a shadow. Shadows don't make brushtstrokes. [/quote]
My point wasn't the absence of brushstrokes/paint on the shroud, but the amazing physical and medical accuracy of the image. The image is the negative of an actual human body, not the "shadow" of a painting.

[quote name='Antonius' date='Apr 1 2005, 06:33 PM'] The Shroud is awesome, I love this discussion. I'm learning a lot.

However, does anyone know anything about St. Juan Diego's tilpa (sp?) from Our Lady of Guadalupe? I know it's supported by the Church, and I know about the people in her eyes, but anything else? [/quote]
There has recently (about a month or so ago) been a debate on this topic here. Search the archives to see arguments for and against its authenticity.