An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apostolic Succession

Jake Huether

Jake Huether

Scott Hahn to the rescue again. This one is good!

Isaiah 22:21-23

[quote]21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. 22 [b]I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.[/b] 23 I will drive him like a peg into a firm place; he will be a seat [a] of honor for the house of his father. [/quote]

One familiar with the Davidic kingdom (which I wasn't until I read up on it) would know that this position being given is that of Prime Minister. He virtually has the power of the king, like the other Ministers. But the other Ministers don't have the key's! Just like the Apostles. This is deep stuff. Awesome!

Matthew 16:9

[quote]I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”[/quote]

Note that Jesus speaks again and tells the other Apostles virtually the same thing, minus the keys. In other words, they have authority to bind and loose, but only Peter has the keys - He can loose what the others have bound, and vise versa. The Supreme Pontiff.

Matthew 18: 18

[quote]“I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. [/quote]

Also, note that in the Davidic kingdom the Prime Minister's position had SUCCESSION. The key's were passed down. This is what Jesus is doing. He's establishing the New Davidic Kingdom. He is the King and Peter, and his successors, are the Prime Ministers!

Pretty cool stuff.