Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible - What Translation?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Did any of you who were protestant, now catholic read the New International Version of the Bible? I love this translation and the flow of the language within it but I'm aware that it does not contain the missing books. Is there a catholic translation which is similar? I have a copy of the Jerusalem Bible but I don't find the flow of the language the same in this translation.

Posted

The Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition is very similiar. It's the one Mother Angelica recommends and I hear it's the version JP2 reads from when he is in the states. It's also called the Ignatius bible.

Don't mistake this for the New Revised STandard Catholic Edition (it uses inclusive text) :o

Posted

Thanks Hecklingsoul - much appreciated. :D I'll buy a copy of the RSV Catholic version.

Thanks for the advice about the new version too. How funny, I would freely describe myself as feminist, but couldn't bear to read a bible translation which used inclusive language!! I'm clearly a woman of contradiction! :(

Posted (edited)

I'm a convert that used to read the NIV. Here's an interesting article written by convert Steve Ray on it's protestant biases :

Edited by jbike
hyperdulia again
Posted

I read the NIV some of translations in it irk me tho', so i compare it to the kjv the rsv and the nab and hope for the best.

Posted

I like the RSV catholic edition, but I love the Knox bible . . . I wish I could find a good copy . . . I am also coming to love the NAB because its what my kids use mostly so I try to read to them from what they read . . .

and of course, if you're willing to learn some latin . . . the Vulgate!

Also the Douay-Rheims is a translation of the Vulgate, that you might like . .. the Douay-Confraternity is another one, but i don't like it as much . .

cmotherofpirl
Posted

When I was in England many years ago I bought a copy of the New English Bible which is their approved CAtholic version.

It flows beautifully off the tongue.

Posted

jbike, that was a really interesting article. Thanks.

A logical argument that there would be protestant bias in the translation if there were only protestant churches involved in working on the translation. I liked the fact that he said that while bearing that in mind, he still found the translation useful at times.

I would find it hard to 'give up' this translation altogether. :(

Posted

The New English Bible contains the missing books? I think I owned a copy of that translation many years ago but I don't remember it containing all the books.

hyperdulia again
Posted

i'm a cradle catholic and i still use it, mine is dog-eared and falling apart, it's pocket sized, but has the whole protestant canon, in fact i only use my catholic bibles for fact checking and reading "the seven"

Posted

I still us it some also, but often find it translates a lot of things vastly differently than the NAB. Maybe I'll have to start using the RSV also.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

The New English Bible contains all the books.

I like it because the psalms read the the poetry they are.

For accuracy you should have a RSV-CE or Navarre or St Ignatius CAtholic Study Bible.

I do not use the NAB unless I have to.

hyperdulia again
Posted

what's wrong with the nab cmom--it's the one i was raised on?

Posted

FYI: No one has asked but the 7 book Luther removed are refered to as "The Deuterocanonical" books.

One of those nice, big and fancy Catholic words.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

It changes scripture to use inclusive language, and the footnotes leave much to be desired.

Posted

What's wrong with the New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition? Inclusive text = ?

I unfortunately use it :( .

cmotherofpirl
Posted

I see nothing wrong with the RSV -CE it is the most accurate translation we have.

Posted

which one do you think is the best one?

cmotherofpirl
Posted (edited)

I use the RSV CE, with is used in the St Ignatius Study Bible and Navarre Bible. Both of these you buy a piece at a time. The Navarre gives you the latin directly under the English. Both have extensive footnotes, the Navarre covers themes and ideas better and the St Ignatius line-by-line commentary better. Both are cross referenced extensively with special articles, word studies etc.

You buy them a piece at a time.

The Navarre Bible :Gospel of John is 255 pages long(paperback).

Edited by cmotherofpirl
Posted

kewl, thanks cmom! B)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...