An Old School Catholic Message Board

question regarding my friends

Isaiah41:13

Ok. My roommate is Presbyterian and so is another one of my best friends here at school. We often get on the subject of religion and the often ask me questions about Catholicism. They are very big with fellowship and getting together. My roommate is very upset that there isn't a "fellowship" thing that she likes here. I went to youth group at my home church through my senior year and sometimes stop by and help now when I'm home. I really liked it. It just seems like fellowship is much more a part of their religion compared to mine. Is this true? Can anyone here explain the whole fellowhsip thing in a Protestan/Presbyterian church to me and why it seems to be so important.

I helped a local Presbyterian church set up their youth group for a few years. You are right in the fact that fellowship (in general) has greater importance in their community. However the apparent trade off is the fact that their "sacraments" hold a lot less importance than that of the Church. In some ways this works to their advantage. Children get confirmed in the Presbyterian church and then continue to take bible study. Its expected. Too many of our churches send the message of "once your confirmed, you're done" and that is the wrong message

You're right though. There is no theological or justifiable reason why fellowship cannot be more important. I have always wanted to see that change

Brother Adam

Fellowship is an important concept in the Church. I believe most people in most dioceses expect events to jump out at them instead of being willing to call the parish office or look in a bulletin and take some responsibility for themselves.

There is a danger though, as mentioned, of fellowship becoming too important. When this happens, as it has in the Catholic Church, the Church is no longer about the People of God but the the Community of People. Enter Modernism.

If you feel like there is genuinely not enough going on in your parish, take lead, talk to your diocesian directors of faith formation and religious ed and find out what you can do to help change it.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 4 2005, 12:36 PM'] Fellowship is an important concept in the Church. I believe most people in most dioceses expect events to jump out at them instead of being willing to call the parish office or look in a bulletin and take some responsibility for themselves.

There is a danger though, as mentioned, of fellowship becoming too important. When this happens, as it has in the Catholic Church, the Church is no longer about the People of God but the the Community of People. Enter Modernism.

If you feel like there is genuinely not enough going on in your parish, take lead, talk to your diocesian directors of faith formation and religious ed and find out what you can do to help change it. [/quote]
I'm not saying that I have a problem with the fellowship in my church. I come from a parish with a strong youth group that I was a member of until my high school graduation last year.

My question was do Protestants value fellowship higher than we, as Catholics, do?

It just seems like when we talk about church my friend (Protestant friend) is like fellowship, fellowship, fellowship whereas I am not despite having a great experience in youth group. Is this a difference in the churches teachings?