An Old School Catholic Message Board

Will JP2 be sainted?

Monoxide

We all know he was a great man, but does he posses the 'saint' qualities? Does anyone have a specific outline of what you need to become a saint? Has there been any miracles attributed to him as of yet?

Also... The pope had Reconciliation, recieved the Holy Eucharist and had Euchelaion all within an hour of his death, correct? I honestly do not think he was capable of sinning in his last minutes on this rock, so does that mean he went straight to heaven? That would be cool. He probably has even done all his purgatory time on earth as well (seven years a sin running congruently? whats this?) anyway any clarification would be awesomme.

God Conquers

It is possible that he went straight to heaven.

As for being sainted, it could happen within 100 years.

However, I've been told it will take quite a while and aconcerted effort.

The entire life and writitngs of a prospective saint must be examined to find any reason why the person in question should NOT be a saint. The pope was an incredibly prolific writier, so this should take some time.

toledo_jesus

it could happen. his writings are accessible to a degree that papal writings never have been before.

zealousdefender

Normally one must be dead for 50 years before being elevated to sainthood. I believe it may even be that 50 years must pass before the canonization process can begin. (Unsure) However, Padre Pio died in 1968, and was elevated to St. Pio in 2002, a mere 34 years.

As for miracles, can you say "the fall of the Soviet Union?" There must be three miracles attributed.

I am quite certain that JPII died in a state of grace and went straight ot heaven, just as I am quite certain that he was indeed a saint. Twenty-five years to sainthood [i]may[/i] be optimistic, but it probably won't be much longer than that.

Ash Wednesday

I think he will be a saint within the next 100 years. I don't know the process of proclaiming someone a Doctor of the Church and how long that would take, but I believe he will be one of those, too.

A friend of mine said she couldn't understand why everyone was praying for the Pope so much -- she said something like "if there is anyone in heaven and in good standing with God, it's the pope" but she's not Catholic and doesn't entirely understand the whole "praying for souls" thing. I said in response that a lot of people aren't praying simply because they assume he's trapped in purgatory somewhere, but they are praying most of all out of love. :hearts:

As I've said many times, I personally believe he is in heaven but I continue to pray for him because the Church asks us to do so, I know that he would want this (invitation to prayer was among his last words after all) and I do it out of love.

argent_paladin

I think the time limit will be waived for him as it was for Mother Theresa. He will be canonized, I believe, within 50 years, an eyblink in Church time.

We have to wait a few more days for the miracles to come. :) There hasn't been enough time to have a novena to ask for his intercession. ^_^

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the first things the next pope does is canonize JPII. Immediately after his death, people started spouting out John Paul (II) the Great. I'd say this is equivalent or even more of a public outcry than when Mama T (aka Mother Theresa of Calcutta) died. As others have said, she's already, what, Blessed Mama T? (or is it still Venerable Mama T?)

As for saintly qualities, umm... let's show a list![list]
[*]Public reaction/magnetic personality, particularly even when he's old and his body is failing
[*]one of the most prolific in terms of theological contributions
[*]travelled everywhere greeting the faithful, a first
[*]beatified/canonized more saints than others put together
[*]was happy when he died
[*]helped bring down western communism
[*]forgave his would-be assassin
[*]best of all, he was uber-mega-super-HOLY!
[/list]

argent_paladin

Canonizing pope would be long process
By Patricia Rice
Of the Post-Dispatch
04/08/2005

At the pope's funeral, television cameras panned several pilgrims holding a cream-colored banner with the words "Santo Subito" - which means "Saint, Right Away."

That raised the question of how soon Pope John Paul II could be named a saint.

But the Catholic Church's laws for naming saints, which the pope himself revised twice, require patience. The rules call for an investigation of the candidate's writings, twice-monthly meetings of nine theologians and approval by medical doctors of two miracles granted in the name of the candidate.

Witnesses must give testimony of how the candidate heroically displayed the virtues of faith, hope, charity, prudence, justice and temperance.

And according to the pope's own 1983 law, the case for canonization cannot be investigated until at least five years after a candidate's death.

Even so, John Paul bent a few of his own rules in canonizing 482 people - more than all previous popes combined. The case for St. Teresa of Calcutta, for example, began within two years of her death.

The law states that the bishop of the diocese where the candidate died must open the case. Rome's next bishop will be the new pope, whose election will occur on or after April 18.

Despite John Paul's popularity, church historians say all of the rules should be followed. "It would be much better if we go through the process that the church has set," said the Rev. John Padberg, director of the Institute for Jesuit Sources at St. Louis University. "Those safeguards give credibility to the judgments made about all candidates."

Sister Nancy Ghio, the alumnae spiritual director at Villa Duchesne in Frontenac, attended the 1988 canonization of St. Philippine Duchesne. She said it may not matter how quickly the Vatican acts.

"The people have already decided that he is a saint - particularly the Polish people," she said. "They believe that this courageous, peaceful, spiritual man saved them and brought them out of the communist darkness."

Q the Ninja

Number of miracles required:

[quote name='CE on Beatification (of Confessors)']The miracles now remain to be proved, of which two of the first class are required in case the practice of virtues in the heroic degree has been proved, in both ordinary and Apostolic inquiries or processes by eyewitnesses -- three, if the eyewitnesses were found only in the ordinary processes; four, if the virtues were proven only by hearsay (de auditu) witnesses. If the miracles have been sufficiently proven in the Apostolic processes (super virtutibus) already declared valid, steps are taken at once to prepare the documents with regard to miracles (super miraculis). If in the Apostolic processes only general mention has been made of the miracles, new Apostolic processes must be opened, and conducted after the manner already described for proving the practice of virtues in an heroic degree.[/quote]

[quote name='CE on Canonization']The canonization of confessors or martyrs may be taken up as soon as two miracles are reported to have been worked at their intercession, [b]after[/b] the pontifical permission of public veneration as described above. At this stage it is only required that the two miracles worked [b]after[/b] the permission awarding a public cultus be discussed in three meetings of the congregation. The discussion proceeds in the ordinary way; if the miracles be confirmed another meeting (super tuto) is held. The pope then issues a Bull of Canonization in which he not only permits, but commands, the public cultus, or veneration, of the saint.[/quote]

Edited by Q the Ninja

God Conquers

There were MANY sick people, hospital beds, wheelchairs in the audience at the Papal Funeral. I ave a feeling that there were miracles performed.

We could see a quick canonization. Of course it would be totally dependent on the new Pope, and his personality/tastes.