An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chime in on your views

Quietfire

It seems that whenever there isnt a moment where the news channels cant cram some horrific scene or evevt onto my screen they just gotta do a poll.

The Pope has only just passed and suddenly a poll pops up by one of the major network news as to the future of the Catholic Church. Here's the jist of it.

"In a recent survey, we asked Catholics for their opinions on some issues left undone by Pope John Paul, and we had some interesting answers"

Laypeople having more say in the Catholic Church.
60% Yes
40% No

Priest being allowed to marry.
60% Yes
40% No

Women being ordained as Priests.
60% Yes
40% No

Now, other than the fact that I cracked up and said, "Not in my lifetime...or anyone else's, no way!", I wondered..
What if all those things did come to pass? (yeah, scary thought)

I know that the Church is lead by the Holy Spirit and this should be a non-issue.

But what if? Do I flee the Church? Do I sit idly by and allow this nonsense to happen? Do I grin and bear it? Do I refuse communion from a (gasp!) female Father?
Look, Im a woman. I still dont want to see no female priest though. So dont think Im some macho guy trying to 'keep things as they are'.

The Church itself has no control over female priests, that much I know. It just isnt possible. Yet, there are still those who cry out for it. Dont they bother to investigate to find out why this isnt possible?
As far as laypeople having more say...The Catholic Church is NOT a democracy. We, as Americans, have NO right to push our idiotic views on the church that Christ built so that she can be a what?!!! "kinder, gentler church?" Paaalease!

And clergy marrying? Oh, I can see that one now.

"Umm Father, my dad is dying...I need you to come quickly and perform last rites."

"Gee, this is really a bad time for me. The wife is just started dinner and I havent been home once this week for a meal with her. The kids need to go to soccer practice and piano lessons right afterward. How about I pop by say...around next Thursday...I think I can squeeze you in between my counseling appointment with the wife and evening Mass...Oh, wait... I can get out of Mass that day since I have to pick the kids up. How's about 6 pm then? Does that sound good. You dont mind if little Bobby and Jenna hang out in your living room while Im there, do you? It would only take a moment."

uh, yeah. <_<

Edited by Quietfire

Melchisedec

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Apr 5 2005, 08:56 AM'] It seems that whenever there isnt a moment where the news channels cant cram some horrific scene or evevt onto my screen they just gotta do a poll.

The Pope has only just passed and suddenly a poll pops up by one of the major network news as to the future of the Catholic Church. Here's the jist of it.

"In a recent survey, we asked Catholics for their opinions on some issues left undone by Pope John Paul, and we had some interesting answers"

Laypeople having more say in the Catholic Church.
60% Yes
40% No

Priest being allowed to marry.
60% Yes
40% No

Women being ordained as Priests.
60% Yes
40% No

Now, other than the fact that I cracked up and said, "Not in my lifetime...or anyone else's, no way!", I wondered..
What if all those things did come to pass? (yeah, scary thought)

I know that the Church is lead by the Holy Spirit and this should be a non-issue.

But what if? Do I flee the Church? Do I sit idly by and allow this nonsense to happen? Do I grin and bear it? Do I refuse communion from a (gasp!) female Father?
Look, Im a woman. I still dont want to see no female priest though. So dont think Im some macho guy trying to 'keep things as they are'.

The Church itself has no control over female priests, that much I know. It just isnt possible. Yet, there are still those who cry out for it. Dont they bother to investigate to find out why this isnt possible?
As far as laypeople having more say...The Catholic Church is NOT a democracy. We, as Americans, have NO right to push our idiotic views on the church that Christ built so that she can be a what?!!! "kinder, gentler church?" Paaalease!

And clergy marrying? Oh, I can see that one now.

"Umm Father, my dad is dying...I need you to come quickly and perform last rites."

"Gee, this is really a bad time for me. The wife is just started dinner and I havent been home once this week for a meal with her. The kids need to go to soccer practice and piano lessons right afterward. How about I pop by say...around next Thursday...I think I can squeeze you in between my counseling appointment with the wife and evening Mass...Oh, wait... I can get out of Mass that day since I have to pick the kids up. How's about 6 pm then? Does that sound good. You dont mind if little Bobby and Jenna hang out in your living room while Im there, do you? It would only take a moment."

uh, yeah. <_< [/quote]
Whats not to say that the holy spirit is guiding the church to that position?

Oh, and I left out the poll for gay marriages. (I guess I was trying to forget that one)
Same outcome...60% yes and 40% no.

Somebody stop the madness!

[quote]Whats not to say that the holy spirit is guiding the church to that position?[/quote]

You are joking, arent you?

Fundamentals, dear boy.
Read Scripture.
Read the Early Church Fathers.

Since the Holy Spirit is guiding the Church, none of those things that are wanted by AMERICANS are possible.

Americans do not decide what happens to the Catholic Church..Thank God.

God Conquers

[quote]Americans do not decide what happens to the Catholic Church..Thank God.[/quote]

No Kidding!

The Holy Spirit is in charge of the Church, and the Church will never change Her teachings, no matter how much the liberals howl about them, so your worries are unfounded.

The Church is not a democracy - the polls have no relevance to anything.

IcePrincessKRS

HAHAHAHA Things the Pope left "undone"???? I guess they aren't very in tune with the teachings of the Church and all, huh? lol

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Apr 5 2005, 07:56 AM'] We, as Americans, have NO right to push our idiotic views on the church that Christ built so that she can be a what?!!! "kinder, gentler church?" Paaalease!
[/quote]
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

conservativecatholic

....one of the reasons why an American pope by many is seen as improbable- a lack of orthodoxy in America.

By the way, I believe that the news networks got their results from a Catholic Church smack in the middle of San Francisco or even John Kerry's "Paulist Center Church."

Edited by conservativecatholic

Brother Adam

Just the actual questions themselves lends itself to the truth on how misguided not only are the majority of Americans, but Catholics themselves about their faith.

One day, God willing, I will help change that.

Edited by Brother Adam

toledo_jesus

"And clergy marrying? Oh, I can see that one now.

saving this quote for my own purposes ;)

Micheal5403

[quote]If they happen i think I will join Melchisedec in his Atheism.[/quote]

If the church was officially changed, I wouldn't mind. I mean, if that was the way the Spirit guided. (I'm not saying that it's possible)

The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. I must have faith.

Plus, I hate those polls. I just answered one on msn.com. ;)

"For those who believe in God, death and evil do not have the final say." Pope John Paul II - 2001

FYI, based on traditional practices, if we were to have married priest we would have to abandon our ritual of daily mass. just one thing I saw in your scenario, with a Thursday mass in there... the priest wouldn't be saying a mass on thursday. He and his wife would be abstaining in a holy fast and prayer every Saturday and Sunday, and be saying Mass on Sundays. goes back to the tradition of ancient Israel and the Levitical priesthood and is still practiced in the east today, a married priest abstains from sex to prepare for offering sacrifice.