Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Letter To My Bishop


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ive never seen a church with the tabernacle on the side. I was wondering something.  Im still kinda new to this, I know we kneel during the consecration, but are we supposed to be kneeling when we say the I am not worthy to recieve you...part, right before we recieve communion.

yes

Posted

Jake, I want to commend you for the step you're taking. If more people were trained to spot liturgical abuses and complain, maybe more bishops would feel forced to do something! I hope your letter isn't one of those that gets blown off. I'll pray that they take your concerns seriously.

Posted

Hi Jake,

Here's another way to apprach it: ask the pastor how you can help educate the parishoners regarding such things as the genuflection and the GIRM. Are you involved in any groups that make you visible to the pastor and associates? That could give you clout.

Another thing to watch out for: the bishop may not receive your letter or it may be buried in a pile of letters due to whoever opens his letters. I'll tell you a personal experience. A few years ago at a certain young adult mass an unapproved creed was used - something "feel good"y manufactured by a local priest. I kept the mass booklet and sent it in to Cardinal George and received a form letter from his secretary. Earlier this summer Cardinal George spoke at a parish and he stayed to mingle. A few of us spoke with him and he said we should keep documentation of anything unorthodox or liturgically abusive otherwise he has nothing to work with. I mentioned the incident regarding the unapproved creed and told him that I did mail the mass boooklet to his office. I wonder if my letter ever reached him.

Side note: when referring to God, make sure you capitalize the "H" in "He".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...