An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex of the All Mighty

MichaelFilo

MichaelFilo

It came up quite recently (twice) that God is without a gender. I didn't think much of it the first time, since it was a non-Catholic who said it. God is constantly is reffered to as "He" and Jesus is completely man and completely God. However, when someone on PM said that God is without a sex, then I began to think about it a bit more.

Unless there is some official teaching by the Church (which I am not aware of), here is a list of reasons why God must be a Male

-God created Adam in his image, and woman from Adam's rib.

-God is always depicted as a Male, and is always reffered to with masculine words in both Holy Writ and by Church.

-Jesus is a Male.

-The reason why women cannot be priests (or one of them) is because a priest sometimes acts [i]in persona Christi[/i], and so it would follow that if Christ is both Man and God (completely) then God is Male.

Any thoughts?

God bless,
Mikey

[quote]God created Adam in his image[/quote]

Im always confused with this one. I think it could mean that he created man in his own way, in his own liking i guess. I don't know if that really means he created man to be physically or similar to GOD.

[quote]-God is always depicted as a Male, and is always reffered to with masculine words in both Holy Writ and by Church.[/quote]

Not sure why but i can come up with a guess, read the following.

[quote]-Jesus is a Male.[/quote]

I guess it comes down to that, we as humans, need some type of communication with GOD. So in order for GOD to be physical in his universe then i guess its proper to create himself as his own creation such as man. I don't think he would have sent Jesus as an animal or a talking tree. I know he can communicate with his people in any way or form, but i guess he chose man because it was easier for us to comprehend. Why not a women? well i guess because the first physical entity he created was a man and he wanted to be like his first creation, who knows. He probably would have sent Jesus in the form of a women if he created the physical entity of a women first.

But i believe GOD is niether male or female perhaps an energy spirit of some sort. No one knows or will ever know untill we reach the Gates of Heaven. Just thought id give me input on this topic, ive thought about it for many many many years and will continue to think about it :rolling:

Thy Geekdom Come

God truly is sexless. I don't have time to go into it here, but it's Catholic dogma. Pure spirit does not have gender.

We are made in His image...not the other way around.

The problem is that you are seeing the human nature of Christ. This is not the nature of God. What is the nature of a being? Its attributes. The nature of God is the Divine Nature, not the human nature. The Divine Nature has no sex and thus, God has no sex. However, the Person of Christ entered into the human nature and thus took on sex, but that does not make it an attribute of God, that is, of the Divine Nature, which contains all the attributes of God...it is merely an attribute of man which God, in the Person of Christ, took upon Himself, but this does not make it a part of the Divine Nature.

The two natures are united hypostatically...this does not mean that they become one nature, but that they are attached as two natures and are permitted to exist within one another.

i thought that the reason it always says God is a male (He) in the Bible was because the English language does not have a proper name for genderless like other languages do....

God as pure spirit has no body, and thus, in the physical sense, has no sex. However, He is masculine in gender, the masculinity of manhood being a mere reflection of the Divine Fatherhood of God, rather than vice-versa. Some holy person has said we are all feminine compared to God.

However in the Incarnation, God truly did become man. Thus, it can be truly said that God (Jesus Christ) is male.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Apr 8 2005, 02:07 PM'] i thought that the reason it always says God is a male (He) in the Bible was because the English language does not have a proper name for genderless like other languages do.... [/quote]
Well, we do have "it." :P

Actually, I think the greatest reason is a TOTB matter...the Church is the Bride, therefore, to reflect the relationship God wants with creation... ;)