An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should the Eastern Catholic Churches even exist?

Apotheoun

Hey friend, by even suggesting that you upset me and my brothers, I can assure you that our Orthodox brethren would not accept us back into their church, and would possibly make our lives as miserable as possible.. I would also probably punch you in that face (with charity) for even suggesting such things. Do you send black people back to Africa because they dance better then you? Go fight some more Iraqi wars friend.

argent_paladin

I think that the Eastern Catholic Churches are invaluable in themselves and should be protected and encouraged. However, I do not think that it is a contradiction to say that I don't think that an Eastern Catholic should become Bishop of Rome. As an Eastern Catholic, he would be obligated to observe his own rites and customs, but as Bishop of Rome, he would be obligated to observe the rites and customs of the Roman rite. He would either have to transfer rites or to be permantently dispensed from the obligation to observe his own rites. Either way, the Eastern Catholic wouldn't be living as an Eastern Catholic or, if he did, the Bishop of Rome would not be acting properly as the Patriarch of the West, the Primate of Italy and the Bishop of Rome because he wouldn't be saying mass in the Roman rite, saying the Roman liturgy of the hours, or be subject to the Code of Canon Law (since it expressly applies only to Latins).
But none of this implies that Eastern Catholics are second-class citizens, let alone that these Churches should be abolished. That would be truly ridiculous.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote]Should Anglican rite Catholics return to the Anglican communion?[/quote]

i didn't know we had any other rite besides Roman and the eastern rites. what other rites are there?

where can i find information about them on the web?

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus