An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question for Cam42

journeyman

When did ordination as a temporary deacon become the initial step to ordination as a priest? Is that a (relatively speaking) modern occurrence - subsequent to Trent which mandated the diocesan seminaries?

Especially in light of the emphasis of the permanent diaconate as a "service" ministry, one open to married laity, and, as I understand it, incapable of leading to ordination as a priest (especially while still married, and even if the deacon survives a spouse, without going back to seminary) . . . what is the possibility of decoupling the diaconate from the priesthood? Most of the other service ministries open to the laity have no direct linkage to the priesthood.

I don't have a problem with your response as a statement of current Church teaching. This is more of a "how, when, why" follow up question, that I really didn't think should be in the Q&A phorum. I'm also not trying to start a debate . . . I just know you're here a lot, and this is a better place for the question that the phorum in which the question was posted.

I'm enrolled in an online church history course at the University of Dayton - part II begins with the Reformation - the first discussion board had a class member suggesting female ordination - and my answer (while not nearly as tactful as yours to Vickles) was a reference to the same two writings. While I've been labeled a pre-Vatican II Catholic in the class (I would just barely qualify, if I hadn't been an Episcopalian for so long), my son knows I'm really a squishy soft liberal.

journeyman

Question was from Vickles:
I am female thinking of a vocation in the church (outside of the nunery) when I'm older and was wondering if it is possible for a female to be a deacon. If it is, how? If it isn't, why?Thank you very much.

[quote]what is the possibility of decoupling the diaconate from the priesthood?[/quote]

Zero. There is a zero possiblity of decoupling the diaconate. The main reasons being the role of the deacons going back to apostolic times, proclaimation of the gospel, service at the altar, and certain pronouncements during the Mass.

Also, the deacons were also intimately associated with the administration of the Sacrament of Baptism. They were responsible for inquiries about the candidates, their instruction and preparation, the custody of the chrism.

In the Apostolic Constitutions we read:
[quote]A deacon thou shalt appoint, O Bishop, laying thy hands upon him, with all the presbytery and the deacons standing by thee; and praying over him thou shalt say: Almighty God. . . .let our supplication come unto Thy ears and make Thy face to shine upon this Thy servant who is appointed unto the office of deacon [eis diakonian] and fill him with the Spirit and with power, as Thou didst fill Stephen, the martyr and follower of the sufferings of Thy Christ.[/quote]

So, we can see that from the earliest times that it is a Sacramental office, to be certain.

[quote]Most of the other service ministries open to the laity have no direct linkage to the priesthood.[/quote]

Actually, I disagree with that. I think that for the most part all the service ministries have direct ties to the ministerial priesthood. Deference should be paid to the ordinary ministers of their office, when they are available. In other words, if a seminarian visiting who has the office of lector should be afforded the opportunity to read the epistles over an extraordinary reader. The same holds true for an acolyte.

1. Ushers are extensions of deacons.
2. Altar servers (boys, sic) are extensions of acolytes
3. Readers are extensions of lectors
4. Extraordinary ministers are extensions of deacons and priests

The minor orders of the Church today are Lector (given after Theology I); Acolyte (given after Theology II); and candidacy (received when the Ordinary decides; although this isn't a formal minor order).

Deacon (after Theology III or during Theology IV) is the first of the priestly orders. It is a major order due to the above reasoning. There is more, but I think that this sufficently answers your question.

Cam