An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why go to church?

Abner

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:19 PM'] As Catholics, we believe that Jesus Christ founded a Church, and founded Sacraments (Baptism, Holy Eucharist, Penance, etc.) that are necessary for our salvation. [/quote]
The Sacraments while a huge part of life are not necessary for Salvation. The necessary stuff deals with Christ granting grace through the Sacraments and His death. If our Sacraments were necessary for Salvation then many people who were not Catholic would go to hell, but we believe they can be saved thus implying that our Sacraments while extremely beneficial are not NECESSARY. God can also save anyone he chooses to. He is God. :D

So, jezic, are you saying that Baptism is not Necessary even though Jesus Himself said it was?

I, again, am unclear about your meaning.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='DianJo' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:04 PM'] So, jezic, are you saying that Baptism is not Necessary even though Jesus Himself said it was?

I, again, am unclear about your meaning. [/quote]
I think he meant that reception of the sacraments (with the exception of baptism) isn't necessary for salvation, so long as the reason they are not received is honest.

[quote name='Abner' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:00 PM'] I became a Christian a few months ago. I had been looking into it for a while, and had an experience that convinced me that Jesus is real and wants to have a relationship with him.

I have a friend who tells me I need to start attending church, but I'm not so sure I need to. She's grown up a Christian, and I think she just thinks she needs to go because she's never known anything different. I think I can have a perfectly good relationship with God outside of church, and that I don't need to be part of any sort of organized religion. [/quote]
Ever Since Jesus broke the bread and said "do this in memory of me". People ever since then gathered on sunday (since Jesus came back from the dead on sunday) to remember him. The idea of going to Church for a protestant may be different than a Catholic. Here's why: Although we both believe it's neccisary to go to Church on sunday, there is huge significance to it for Catholics. Catholics believe it is a grave offense not to go to mass on sunday because we believe in the Eucharist (the bread's actually Jesus). People back in the Apostles time believed this also. I believe a pupil of someone St. John taught wrote about it as well. I acknowledge your beliefs but read the Bible and really examine the Christian history. I personally don't believe in unorganized religion because it's still a denomination... just unorganized.

[quote name='DianJo' date='Apr 18 2005, 11:04 AM'] So, jezic, are you saying that Baptism is not Necessary even though Jesus Himself said it was?

I, again, am unclear about your meaning. [/quote]
[QUOTE]

Perhaps what Jezic means is what the Catholic Church teaches. One can get to heaven without receiving the actual sacrament of Baptism. One needs either the Sacrament, or Baptism of Blood, or Baptism of Desire. Through those other two it is possible for people who have never heard of Christ to get to heaven

Tum