An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll on Creation thread

Brother Adam

What category do you fall in?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brother Adam

I can understand Muslims being theistic evolutionists, it fits well with their belief about their god. However, I still haven't found anyone who can reconcile theistic evolution with the God of the Bible, who is a personal God throughout the entire Bible, from the first to the last page, being wholly involved in his creation.

Ash Wednesday

Hmmmm! I vote that I am Catholic but throw my guess as being somewhere between theistic evolution and creationism? :D

I don't believe in a literal six days as we know it, or that the dinosaurs were a lie, but I'm inclined to believe that somewhere along the way, there came to be an Adam and Eve. :)

Brother Adam

Creationism does not deny the dinosaurs. It denies the age of the dinosaurs through carbon dating.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 16 2005, 04:03 PM'] I can understand Muslims being theistic evolutionists, it fits well with their belief about their god. However, I still haven't found anyone who can reconcile theistic evolution with the God of the Bible, who is a personal God throughout the entire Bible, from the first to the last page, being wholly involved in his creation. [/quote]
I think it's possible using the forms, but I'm not entirely sure. Basically, my intial thoughts go something like this:
Forms cannot be applied to any matter, but need matter which is capable of recieving said forms.
All forms come from the mind of God.
What we see as evolution is true, but the direct cause of it is God.
Evolution is basically a series of mediate forms preparing matter to recieve the next form.

It probably takes too many liberties with the theories, but it does apparently reconcile the two.
I don't know if I necessarily believe it or not, to be honest.

Brother Adam

Burke,

I'm surprised at the results so far. I have two friends in the world so far. lol.

I don't think Arostitolian philosophy is going to be able to solve our problem here, because it still denies a personal God. It almost lends itslef to the heresy that God is "in all and through all", that God is some primoridial force.

I also believe it is a serious problem to those who think Genesis is myth (story that relates truths) because without Adam and Eve, there is no Noah. Without Noah, there is no Abraham. Without Abraham there is no David. And without David, there is no Jesus. If Genesis is myth, the Gospels are myth, and Christ did not die on the cross. This is something I cannot accept.

There are also those who believe Genesis relates two creation accounts, Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, but I see no conflict between the two chapters, one chronologically taking place after the other. Just some thoughts.