An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Funerals

Priscilla

Do Catholics favour burial or cremation?

I went to a Catholic funeral once (my uncle's) and it was part of the Eucharist. It seemed weird to throw in a family funeral in the middle of Mass: is that common practice, and if so why?

Thanks.

Noel's angel

The Eucharist is of central importance in our spiritual lives, it is also of central importance in our celebration of Christian death. At the last supper, on the night before he died for us, our Saviour transformed bread and wine into his own body and blood which he offered to his Father as a sacrifice acceptable to him. This is the Eucharistic sacrifice he asked us to celebrate as a continuing memorial of his death and resurrection. It is a pledge of future glory which sustains us all through life and is especially significant as we face the death of someone dear to us.

After the Lord Jesus surrendered his Spirit into the hands of his Father, his disciples carefully prepared his body according to the Jewish ritual and placed it in a new tomb. By the three days he spent there, he made holy the graves of all those who believe in him and by his rising again we are restored to eternal life. As his followers, we too place the dead bodies or cremated remains of our brothers and sisters in the earth with the expectation that God will raise them to life again with the glorified Christ.

The practice of cremation is accepted by the Catholic Church as long as the reasons for choosing cremation are not contrary to the Christian way of life. In most cases cremation should take place following the funeral liturgies. These celebrations should take place with the body present. In this way the body can be honored by the community, and the bereaved are allowed the proper time to mourn. Death is the last passage of life and should not be hidden or negated by cremation prior to the funeral celebrations.

In particular circumstances, it may be necessary for cremation to take place prior to the funeral. This liturgy may then be celebrated with the ashes present.

Thanks Noel.

I think the problem I encountered at my Uncles funeral was that it was all so disjointed.

First while he kind of held to his Catholic beliefs, he wasn't what I really consider "born again" - though God will be his judge (thankfully). He drank a lot also.

Then all the Catholics at the Mass (there were lots) never knew my Uncle at all (because he was lapsed and didn't go to Mass) .

Then all the unbelieving and/or prot relatives couldn't partake Eucharist anyhow.

It seemed really weird all these strangers going up for the sacraments and his funeral was just "slotted in". I couldn't quite get the drift.

Anyhow. I can understand the principle of what you say - but the practice seemed mighty peculiar in the case of my uncle.

cmotherofpirl

We celebrate most of our lives at Mass: baptisms, first communion, comfirmation,
holy orders, marriage, annointings, and funerals.

The community gathers as we live as Catholics in community.

Jake Huether

Unfortunately it is in instances like this, where unity is needed most, when we truly see just how disunified Christians really are. Christ called us all to ONE faith. And it is events like this that paint a clear picture of the need for Christians to re-unify under the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

You are absolutely right, Priscilla! It must have seemed so disjointed. But this is not how it always was. Nor is this how it should be, or how it will be. Please let your dislike for this disjointedness serve as a catalyst for you to consider your walk with Christ, and with His Church. Maybe you can bring your prot-relatives to see this too!

Edited to mention: We had Protestants at our wedding, and have been to weddings where there was a mixture of Christian denoms with Catholic Christians, and I must echo your sentiments. It is just so disjointed when we really aren't ONE in faith. How cool it'd be to see everyone kneel at the Consecration! Or to hear all shout with one voice the Creed! The day will come... We must believe this.

Edited by Jake Huether

Thanks for that Jake - yes you're right, but unity is something which seems so far from reality sometimes. Our Lord prayed "that they may be one as We are One" - that prayer doesn't seem to have ben answered sometimes, but I pray one day that there will be greater unity before the Lord returns. Veneration of Mary is a big issue preventing prots from fellowshipping with Catholics. I can't ever see that being resolved this side of the Kingdom.

cmotherofpirl

It shouldn't. Mary is Jesus's mom.
When you have an important relationship with someone, don't you want to meet the family? :)

Do you say to Jesus that the woman who birthed Him, raised Him, and loved Him isn't worthy of veneration?

Mary is the one human who was so full of grace that she spent her life saying yes to God. Jesus worked his first miracle just to please her

Mary is family to us, just as the saints are our family in heaven. When Jesus was on the cross he gave Mary to his best friend John, and indirectly to all of us.
Catholics see heaven as a large reunion of all those who have gone before us. Handshakes, hugs, how-do-you-do and long friendly conversations will be the order of the day. After all it is the heavenly feast of the Lamb.