An Old School Catholic Message Board

POPE BENEDICT XVI

MC Just

POPE BENEDICT XVI

Catholic League president William Donohue commented today on the election of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger as the new pope:

“Orthodox Catholics have cause for great celebration—the election of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger as our new Holy Father sends an unmistakable message: the College of Cardinals wants a man who will continue the theological legacy of Pope John Paul II. There can be no greater tribute to John Paul the Great than this.

“In 1986, Cardinal Ratzinger wrote a letter to an insubordinate priest, Charles Curran, saying, ‘The authorities of the Church cannot allow the present situation to continue in which…one who is to teach in the name of the Church in fact denies her teaching.’ In 1998, as John Paul II’s enforcer of orthodoxy, he said that the Church’s prohibition against ‘priestly ordination of women’ had ‘been set forth infallibly.’ It is for reasons like these that the New York Times recently called him, ‘the Vatican’s hard-line defender of the faith.’

“Yesterday, in his homily before the men who would elect him pope, Ratzinger said, ‘We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires.’ This is straight out of John Paul II’s encyclical, Veritatis Splendor, one of the most powerful statements on morality ever written. In short, the new pope, like his predecessor, understands the grave danger that awaits a society wherein each individual makes up his own morality. It may not sell in the U.S., but it is nonetheless true that a society that refuses to acknowledge that morality is a social attribute—not an individual one—is bound to culturally implode.

“The Catholic League is delighted. Those who are not need to do some real soul searching.”

conservativecatholic

[quote name='001' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:14 PM'] The new pope creeps me out. [/quote]
Do you have liberal tendencies? heh ^_^

Edited by conservativecatholic

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:40 PM'] And why is that? [/quote]
He's a troll, look through his posts.

well, some of the pictures i've seen of him make him look a little scary, but i still like him anyway and i think he'll be good for the church.

Ash Wednesday

There is a thread that was in Open Mic that discussed the "spooky" factor quite extensively... don't judge a book by its cover, looks are deceiving, blah blah blah...

I find him to be strangely endearing. Maybe it's in part my own Bavarian heritage, but I view him as being kind of an underdog, if you would believe that.

JEEZ, WHO wants to be POPE after JOHN PAUL THE GREAT -- the cute-as-a-button superpope saint-to-be who never really took a bad picture in his life and was rightfully adored by millions and millions of people? And now you have this intellectual, introverted German who many don't know, and many misunderstand, who tried to retire 3 times to settle into a quiet existance (John Paul wouldn't let him... turned down his request to retire 3 times) so he isn't exactly in the "I'm from the Dark Side and I hunger for the papacy, so fear the lightning which comes out of my fingers because the power is MINE *mwhooahahaha*" category that people put him into.

God bless the pope!

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Apr 23 2005, 06:29 AM'] There is a thread that was in Open Mic that discussed the "spooky" factor quite extensively... don't judge a book by its cover, looks are deceiving, blah blah blah...

I find him to be strangely endearing. Maybe it's in part my own Bavarian heritage, but I view him as being kind of an underdog, if you would believe that.

JEEZ, WHO wants to be POPE after JOHN PAUL THE GREAT -- the cute-as-a-button superpope saint-to-be who never really took a bad picture in his life and was rightfully adored by millions and millions of people? And now you have this intellectual, introverted German who many don't know, and many misunderstand, who tried to retire 3 times to settle into a quiet existance (John Paul wouldn't let him... turned down his request to retire 3 times) so he isn't exactly in the "I'm from the Dark Side and I hunger for the papacy, so fear the lightning which comes out of my fingers because the power is MINE *mwhooahahaha*" category that people put him into.

God bless the pope! [/quote]
:crackup:

I agree with you completely!!!!

It just made me laugh....

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:48 PM'] He's a troll, look through his posts. [/quote]
I heard the term "troll" be used before to describe people on forums. What is a troll? and what is Trolling?

cmotherofpirl

Someone who shows up to disrupt the boards in any way possible, who deliberately antagonizes people, and who hijacks threads etc.

One must distinguish between a real troll or someone asking a question in a less-than-mannerly fashion.

Someone shoiwng up and calling someone a "nazi pig" is a troll, someone showing up and asking "can we discuss this accusation I don't understand" is not.

Serious questions can lead to great discussions, however we try not to feed trolls. Trolls can turn into regular people if treated properly.

Edited by cmotherofpirl