An Old School Catholic Message Board

So how long till someone finds a way...

Monoxide

they already did. the benedictines are known as the olivetans.. benedict-olive...

the thing is, prior to the election of Ratzinger I saw sites predicting the choice of the name "Benedict" based on the Malachy prophesies :ph34r: oooooooOOOooOOoooooOOOO

Ash Wednesday

Haha... Aloysius is doing the "ooooOOOOOOooOOooo."
:ph34r:

These prophecies are not part of the general revelation in which belief is required, and I also find them to be very suspect. Could it not also possibly be a forgery wrongly attributed to this saint, and in fact even be demonically inspired?

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm#malachy"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm#malachy[/url]

This article seems to imply that even if there was merit to it, there could also be many Popes between the Gloria Olivae and Petrus Romanus.

From another discussion board, someone discussed Colin Donovan, the theology expert on EWTN, and his take on these so-called prophecies.

As we all know, the prophecy appeared 3 centuries after the death of St Malachy. Apparently Donovan pointed out that the names matched up very well with all the popes before it was found and is very vague for every pope after.

He also stated that most historians doubt the authenticity of it, and that the Church does not actually attribute this prophecy to St. Malachy.

I find in the end having everything so "mapped out" to the very last pope seems to go against the Bible, which the Church DOES consider to be authoritative and binding:

Matthew 24
42: Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.
43: [b]But know this, that if the householder had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have watched and would not have let his house be broken into.[/b]
44: Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming [b]at an hour you do not expect.[/b]

Well, the Benedictines were predicting before that it would have something to do with their order.

And he chose the name Benedict. It's not farfetched.

there were even some predicting that it wouldn't necessarily be a benedictine, but the name Benedict.

and if we are to take "olives" as benedicts, then this will be the greatest benedict yet

the previous Pope Benedicts really aren't that memorable

[quote]Benedict I (575 to 579): "Almost the only act recorded of him is that he granted an estate, the Massa Veneris, in the territory of Minturnae, to Abbot Stephen of St. Mark's near the walls of Spoleto" I'm da Pope! here's some property for ya!

Benedict II (684 to 685): "He is the patron saint of Europe" and nobody seems to know why...

Benedict III (855 to 858): "Benedict intervened in the conflict between the sons of Lothair I (the future Lothair II, Louis II and Charles the Bald) on the latter's death. He was active in other cases and adopted a firm position towards Constantinople." Whoopee-doo!

Benedict IV (900 to 903): "Benedict upheld the ordinances of Pope Formosus, whose rotting corpse was exhumed by Pope Stephen VII and put on trial in the infamous "Cadaver Synod" of 897."

Benedict V (964): "Benedict V was elected by the Romans on the death of John XII. However the Roman emperor Otto I did not approve of the choice, had him deposed after only a month, and the ex-pope was carried off to Hamburg where he died in 965." I wonder if the Papacy still has a probationary period.

Benedict VI (972 to 974): "was chosen with great ceremony and installed pope under the protection of the Emperor Otto the Great. On the death of the emperor the turbulent citizens of Rome renewed their outrages, and the pope himself was strangled by order of Crescentius, the son of the notorious Theodora." Should have worked on those people skills, dude!

Benedict VII (974 to 983): "He governed Rome quietly for nearly nine years" bo-ring!

Benedict VIII (1012 to 1024): "Benedict VIII fled from Rome." a scaredy-Pope?

Benedict IX (1032 to 1044, 1045 to 1046 and 1047 to 1048): This guy was Pope three times! How did some old guy manage that, you ask?

It has been stated that Benedict was no older than twelve when made pontiff. Some sources even claim eleven. If this were true, then he would be the youngest pope ever. But the Catholic Encyclopedia and other sources claim that he was around 18 to 20 years old.

Benedict was entirely unsuited to be pontiff; he reportedly led an extremely dissolute life, although in terms of theology and the ordinary activities of the Church he was entirely orthodox.

Benedict refused to appear on charges of simony in 1049 and was excommunicated."

Benedict X (1058 to 1059)" "He was elected in 1058, his election having been arranged by the Count of Tusculum. However, a number of Cardinals alleged that the election was irregular, and that votes had been bought; these cardinals were forced to flee Rome" no one likes a poor winner

Benedict XI (1303 to 1304): "After a brief pontificate of eight months, Benedict died suddenly at Perugia" okay

Benedict XII (1334 to 1342): "He was a reforming pope, and tried to curb the luxury of the monastic orders, but without much success. He spent most of his time working on questions of theology, he rejected many of the ideas developed by John XXII and campaigned against the Immaculate Conception" think about the irony in a Pope who didn't believe in the Virgin birth...

Benedict XIII (1724 to 1730): "He was a reforming pope and endeavoured to put a stop to the decadent lifestyles of the Italian priesthood and of the cardinalate" the operative word being "endeavoured" and not "succeeded"

Benedict XIV (1740 to 1758): "the most important act of his pontificate was the promulgation of his famous laws about missions in the two bulls, Ex quo singulari and Omnium solicitudinum. In these bulls he denounced the custom of accommodating Christian words and usages to express non-Christian ideas and practices of the native cultures, which had been extensively done by the Jesuits in their Indian and Chinese missions" how esoteric of him...

Benedict XV (1914 to 1922): "Although one of the less remembered Popes of the twentieth century, he deserves commendation for his humane approach in the world of 1914-1918, which starkly contrasts with that of the other great monarchs and leaders of the time. "
[/quote]

So perhaps he will be the Benedict that stands out against all the other benedicts... hmm...

Ash Wednesday

[quote]think about the irony in a Pope who didn't believe in the Virgin birth...[/quote]

I don't know who wrote that but he's obviously mistaken about what the Immaculate Conception really is. I used to think it was the same thing growing up -- obviously it's not.

Am I just sorely mistaken about Saint Father Benedict being the patron saint of Europe, or is it really Benedict II? I thought it was the Benedict of Nursia, not a pope that reigned for a little over a year tops.

some blog somewhere.. I noticed that immaculate conception comment as well and found it stupid but forgot to comment. it was the only thing I could find summarizing all the other benedicts.

it's no secret that the rest of the benedicts really aren't the most well known popes in history. when I heard them say that the last benedict was in the 20th century I was really surprised, I honestly had never heard of him. I thought we had a few Piuses, then a John and a Paul and two John Pauls this century.

But what about this:

[quote]Benedict II (684 to 685): "He is the patron saint of Europe" and nobody seems to know why...[/quote]

I mean really...is Benedict II patron saint of Europe, or is it St. Benedict of Nursia?

Edited by Paphnutius

aha... another mistake. I think this guy just saw the only Pope Saint Benedict and then searched St. Benedict and thought he was the patron of europe.. silly blogger

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02427d.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02427d.htm[/url]

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Apr 23 2005, 12:09 PM'] some blog somewhere.. I noticed that immaculate conception comment as well and found it stupid but forgot to comment. it was the only thing I could find summarizing all the other benedicts.

it's no secret that the rest of the benedicts really aren't the most well known popes in history. when I heard them say that the last benedict was in the 20th century I was really surprised, I honestly had never heard of him. I thought we had a few Piuses, then a John and a Paul and two John Pauls this century. [/quote]
It is anti-catholic in tone and a lousy summary <_<

I don't know about you but I find it shocking that there might be incorrect information on the internet!

Shocking