An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would it be wrong?

aloha918

Is it wrong to purchase a product from a place that supports planned parenthood or abortion......or to work at the place?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am not sure of the answer. I worked at a restaurant before, and the owners were homosexual men. Many of the customers were their friends, and I battled over what to do.

My decision was made, however, when I found out they were sponsoring a dinner to support this AIDS program. One of the sponsors of the program was Planned Parenthood, and so a % of the night's profit would go to them, and other similar organizations. I quit immediately.

Now, I work for a car company who has founded and supports many gay and lesbian organizations. I am uncomfortable in this situation, but it is an internship, and I need the credits to graduate. I plan on working only until August, the minimum, and then finding work elsewhere.

I am interested to see the repsonses to this question. Thanks for posting.

It depends upon the level of support being given to Planned Parenthood. For example, if a % of a nights' business went to PP from a restaraunt, I would not work that night. If they were a Major named sponsor of PP, I wouldn't work there at all. If the company provided minor support to PP just like it did to other charities, I wouldn't be happy, but would work there and hope to change their mind.
In the case of the working at a place and finding out later they are major supporters of PP to the extent I quit, I would write letters to the managers and owners (not just one) and explain why you quit. People quit jobs all the time and nobody takes notice, but if a good employee quits and then explains why, it would be powerful. That would be better than threatening to quit and then quitting because you would be written off as having ulterior motives. Also, if you write why you quit to a number of managers, you would make sure you got your story out and give ammo to other people in management that could possible bring pressure for a company policy change.

It is pretty hard to do...unless you don't ever walk into a Target Corp. business or Berkshire Hathaway business...there are others....

[url="http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/"]Berkshire Hathaway[/url]

and

[url="http://target.com/targetcorp_group/company/index.jhtml"]Target Corp.[/url]

Incidentally, how many here use [url="http://www.microsoft.com/"]Microsoft[/url] products or read the [url="http://nytimes.com/"]New York Times[/url]?

The supporters are every where.....

Try to avoid yes, but Jasjis has a great point.

Guest Eremite

Here's a good explanation of the various forms of cooperation in evil:

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=328804&Forums=5&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=cooperation&pgnu=1&groupnum=0"]http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.as...nu=1&groupnum=0[/url]

return2truth

[quote name='aloha918' date='Apr 27 2005, 11:02 AM'] ......please explain your choice as well [/quote]
In this day and age when so many people and organization are cross-supporting so many others it can be dificult to know how best to involve oneself with anything.

I have a friend who owns a New Age shop. Many of my friends are New Agers--you see we are all looking for the ultimate truth. We are all inteligent, honest and socially responsible people: moral and ethical. I used to do rune readings at this store out of the belief that the information I was sharing with people was beneficial. In fact, my readings did help reunite some families and set some people on paths that lead them out of abusive and self-destructive relationships. I used to hold to the same beliefs as them until my reversion back to Catholicism. Sometimes, I wonder now just how much of my rune-reading advice was just good council inspired by the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, for in all honesty my experiences with the New Age movement are among some of the reasons why I reverted to Catholicism. In them, I saw elements of the Truth that eventually pointed me back to the Source for they were not all without the ability to inspire charity.

Here is my point: If you completely divorce yourself from situations in which the love of God is being denegraded or rejected, a bastion of virtue and charity will be removed from those who might need it most. At the same time however, do not allow yourself to profit in worldly ways at the expense of those who support you through their own spiritual detriments.

I still hang out with my friends at the New Age store in question, but I don't offer my monitary support. They know my beliefs and they accept me, but what they haven't figured out yet is that by doing so, they have unwittingly let a disciple of Christ into their New Age world. Maybe, just maybe, I can make a difference from the inside out.

TheMeekShallRule

[quote]......please explain your choice as well [/quote]

Good answer return2truth!

Im all about not supporting places that support PP and such, but sadly everyone is right who said it is often a chore to determine just who is supporting what and how much, and then decide just what a course of action should be. Which is why i would say avoid them when you can, and especially if they are a major supporter.

I really like the point that sometimes we are the light of God in a certain situation, and we can be there and be such an amazing influence without compromising our own beliefs, or directly supporting what we know to be wrong. That kind of example really does change things.

I often get into this conversation with people. I am a political science student, so people have beef with just about every organization. Anyway, I believe that you need to be choosy with where your support goes. Don't just follow the trend you know? Like, at our school all the fundraisers are for some reason related to the Credit Union. Now, I know they do lots of great stuff, but the bottom line is that they support Planned Parenthood. So, I don't participate in the fundraisers and I don't donate. There are lots of Catholic organization that are more deserving of support because they are founded on Truth. I think that when there is an alternative, go for it.

haha, and... I don't know what 4 shizzle means... does it mean For sure?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Cam42' date='Apr 27 2005, 12:38 PM'] It is pretty hard to do...unless you don't ever walk into a Target Corp. business or Berkshire Hathaway business...there are others.... [/quote]
Berkshire Hathaway no longer donates to them.

The CEO, Warren Buffett, does donate some of his own profits, though, but it's not corporate money.

My parents are stockholders. :)

Well I mean, I despise PP but it's hard to avoid the organization. So many companies support them now. Even Disney supports PP, which I find ironic because they're killing their future audience. But yeah, unless these guys work hand in hand with PP, I'd say it's okay to purchase a product or even work there. It's just to hard to find companies and organizations that don't suppport PP in some way. But be careful, if the employess or manager openly say that they support PP and use it maybe as an advertising point, stay away. I don't know, I'm rambling and probably not making sense, sorry.

MichaelFilo

JasJis and Return make a good point. You cannot avoid it completly, but every single action taken to avoid such organizations on your part will profit you in the End, since your intentino and action were in line to serving God's Will as is taught through the One and Only Most Holy Catholic Church. There can be no question, supprting someone who supports PP is equivocal to supporting PP. However, we must live practically while carrying our Faith to it's extremeties. Possibly a fortune-cookie opinion, but I think it has some Truth in it.

God bless,
Mikey