An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is wrong with scientology?

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

I have been doing a little research on the subject and the values that this belief system portrays is very close to christianity, if not the same........i cant find anything wrong with it.

Not doing any research at all, and working only from memory...

They require that you give them money to join.
They have "secrets" that you are only privy to if you join.
The Dianetics book talks mainly about how you can do things to save yourself. Not much about needing God or grace at all.

And finally, it was created by a bad science fiction writer as a tax shelter.

But, as I said, that's just off the top of my head.

Melchisedec

Go to Infidelguy.com and click on the scientology show. Its got an ex senior member of it talking about it. Good show and its free.

Edited by Melchisedec

what is wrong with scientology?

i'll sum it up in 1 word - THETANS!

they believe you have THETANS in you and they are what make you bad!

I dunno if that's how you spell it but they put you on this machine to test your THETANS, and you have to pay them to get rid of them

...YEP, that's wrong enough for me.

JMJ.

Kilroy the Ninja

ahhh, thetans....

how I had forgotten......

there's just not enough time to right now to tell you the wrongness of scientology.

Someday when you need a good laugh....

theculturewarrior

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 28 2005, 03:27 PM'] I have been doing a little research on the subject and the values that this belief system portrays is very close to christianity, if not the same........i cant find anything wrong with it. [/quote]
Christianity minus Jesus = nothing. :)

MilesChristi

[quote]They require that you give them money to join.
They have "secrets" that you are only privy to if you join.
The Dianetics book talks mainly about how you can do things to save yourself. Not much about needing God or grace at all.

And finally, it was created by a bad science fiction writer as a tax shelter.[/quote]

Supposedly, one of their secrets revolves around an alien named [url="http://www.xenu.com/archive/leaflet/xenuleaf.htm"]Xenu the Warlord[/url]! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='MilesChristi' date='Apr 28 2005, 07:10 PM'] Supposedly, one of their secrets revolves around an alien named [url="http://www.xenu.com/archive/leaflet/xenuleaf.htm"]Xenu the Warlord[/url]! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/quote]
Waah. :wacko:

My stomach hurts now.

MichaelFilo

They trademarked "Scientology"? Thats a new level of modern religion...

This sounds familiar to freemasonry but with enterance fees...

God bless,
Mikey

What's wrong with scientology???
A better question would be "what's right with it"?
Answer - nothing at all!

I'm definitley not an expert, but very weird stuff - founded as a joke in the 50's by sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, who made a bet that anyone could start his own religion. Says that human sould are a disembodied alien race that controls out bodily "vessels." Involves buying expensive gadgets. - Basically a way to rip money off silly hollywood types to buy into scientology as a status symbol (Tom Cruise, et al.)
Scientology is living proof of Barnum's maxim that "there's a sucker born every minute."

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 28 2005, 07:53 PM'] I'm definitley not an expert, but very weird stuff - founded as a joke in the 50's by sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, who made a bet that anyone could start his own religion. Says that human sould are a disembodied alien race that controls out bodily "vessels." Involves buying expensive gadgets. - Basically a way to rip money off silly hollywood types to buy into scientology as a status symbol (Tom Cruise, et al.)
[/quote]
L. Ron Hubbard's estate runs a really nice contest for unpublished science fiction writers. Good money and nice publicity.

But they get the money from the poor dupes who pay to join Scientology. My conscience won't let me enter. Sigh.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='philothea' date='Apr 28 2005, 08:14 PM'] L. Ron Hubbard's estate runs a really nice contest for unpublished science fiction writers. Good money and nice publicity.

But they get the money from the poor dupes who pay to join Scientology. My conscience won't let me enter. Sigh. [/quote]
I dunno if I'd call them "poor". You gots to have the bank to play with Scientologists.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 29 2005, 12:42 AM'] u people are giving me biased opinions [/quote]
isn't this kinda a redundant statement?

You've asked for our opinions.

Opinions are inherently biased.

Like I said, I don't have time to get into a serious discussion about these people, but I've been there and done that and have the HUGE book to prove it.

Their basic premise is we're all just shells inhabited by the spirits of aliens.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 28 2005, 09:53 PM'] I'm definitley not an expert, but very weird stuff - founded as a joke in the 50's by sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, who made a bet that anyone could start his own religion. [/quote]
This is the truth. He started Scientology as a bet with friends to show that anyone could start their own new religious group and that people would be vulnerable enough to buy into it.