An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alleluia

catholicflower

catholicflower

I was just wondering if anyone knew why many protestants use the word Halleluiah and Catholics say Alleluia. thanks a bunch

Edited by catholicflower

RandomProddy

[quote name='catholicflower' date='May 3 2005, 11:19 PM'] I was just wondering if anyone knew why many protestants use the word Halleluiah and Catholics say Alleluia. thanks a bunch [/quote]
I think it's more of an American Protestant pronounciation.... (maybe).

catholicflower

jezic- i didn't mean to imply that they dont use Alleluia. I was just listening to a non-denom. radio station and one of the songs kept repeating Halleluiah and i was just wondering the difference and why that is sometimes used with protestants and never Catholics.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleluia"]Wikipedia[/url] has an article on this.

Different spelling of the title "Christ" (also originally from hebrew or greece or something) also occurs in different languages. Not to mention most of the names found in the bible.

Q the Ninja

Hallelujah, hallelujah...hallelujah! hallelujah! Halleeeelujah...For the God omnipotent reignith....

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 08:35 PM'] Hallelujah, hallelujah...hallelujah! hallelujah! Halleeeelujah...For the God omnipotent reignith.... [/quote]
Thats what I was thinking.

MichaelFilo

Halleljah (sp?) is a praise to God. Alleluia is probably a more Latin version while the Halleluiah... is closer to the Hebrew. The Eastern Rites may use the Halleluiah, but I'm not sure. I'll have to pay more attention.

God bless,
Mikey

argent_paladin

Alleluia is the Latin. It's also why we say Holy Spirit. And we say Ah-men, not Ay-men, because Ah-men is the Latin pronunciation. Latin still has an influence.

Q the Ninja

Unless you're German and your language doesn't derive (at least partly) from Latin. ;)

Edited by Q the Ninja

sweetpea316

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 08:35 PM'] Hallelujah, hallelujah...hallelujah! hallelujah! Halleeeelujah...For the God omnipotent reignith.... [/quote]
:D Man, I've sung that one soo many times...good stuff.

I've never really thought about the difference though, so this is rather interesting. But I agree with keighters...I like both! ^_^